Some thoughts on covid 19 restrictions

ASs some regulars may know I sometimes have a few health problems that at times restricts my access to the countryside so many of the restrictions that we have endured, and are still enduring, do not feel strange to Chris and myself. My immune system is pretty shot up at times so I'm quite good at avoiding numbers of people, I'm maybe not as anti social as it seems, and I've never been a lover of shopping unless its books. When we were recommended to shield in our own homes we actually realised we could walk the riverside fields with permission from the owners and had little chance of meeting anyone so we felt quite happy there. When restrictions eased we have four small nature reserves within a couple of miles of home with plenty of space to avoid close contact but still both watch birds and talk about birds with others doing the same, quite a little anti social bird club we are. There has been good birds aplenty and as winter has drawn closer the wintering Thrushes arrived we have been doing counts on them. One of our local reserves has got a wonderful Starling murmuration,60,000 birds at least, which we managed to social distance the grandsons to. We have found by visiting the busiest of the reserves late afternoon most birders have gone home and we enjoy the spectacle of birds going to roost. We do miss visiting our local moorland but they are outside the 3 mile radius we put on ourselves, they will still be there when all this is over and we settle down to our new normal. Because I am in that at risk category we seem to be swimming in hand sanitiser but Chris keeps an eye on what I get up to. I just hope other folk are coping as well as us and getting the support we have been getting, take care out there we will beat this lot somehow.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• That's me and hubby had our1st jab's yesterday. Both whippersnappers still! We had the Pfizer vaccine, both perfectly fine, felt a bit sleepy mid afternoon and was ready for bed earlier that normal, but otherwise all good.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Yay, Catlady! Glad you managed to get them done at the same time.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Brilliant news CL, glad you will have some protection after a week or so; two days and counting for mine (Ox/AZ)

Regards, Hazel 

• Sleepy mid-afternoon..... Omg I must have the jab every day!!! ;o)
  • Lol, PB! I went to bed early after I had my first jab because I was feeling extremely chilled and wrapping up in the duvet was the only way I could warm up--wasn't feeling the slightest bit sleepy, so you needn't worry, no one is secretly jabbing you with the vaccine when you're not looking!

Kind regards, Ann

• Just heard my Niece's other half has been called for jab ... early thirties but with type 2 diabetes ... must be onto priority list jabs now, making great strides!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• That's me done with the first (Pfizer) jab, then. "Here's the consent form - you should really read it before you have the injection ... but we don't have time!" was the memorable quote of the occasion.
    Sadly, there was no carrot cake to greet me when I got home and I've even had to make me own cup of tea!

Nige   Flickr

• I had my first vaccine yesterday just after 9.00am. It was well organised. More than 24 hours later, I have had no side affect, including no sore arms like some have. My cousin from the West Midland who had his first vaccine 2 weeks ago and he had a headache for 7 days. But now he’s ok. Looking forward to my second vaccine on Sunday 9th May.

Regards,

Ian.

• Looks as though they are working their way steadily through all our forum members. I guess most of us are of a certain age. Waiting for Hazel to report back as she gets hers today.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    Waiting for Hazel to report back as she gets hers today.

Done and dusted  !       It was the Oxford/AZ vaccine;         We are lucky to have a mass vaccination hub on the parkland where we live so headed over to the conference centre;  all very well signposted and plenty of staff in hi-vis giving directions from outside on the road to inside the centre.    I was the only one there and ten mins early so went straight to the desk (check-in) then to the vaccine cubicle area where there was just one person having their jab.      A very nice handsome young doctor did mine   LOL     in and out in within ten mins  (different enter and exit)   and wasn't asked to wait afterward so headed to the cafe although just to meet up with Mike;  I had a coffee when I got home again.     So far so goody but I think the side affects, if they are to happen will kick in tomorrow; so fingers crossed all will be fine.     I feel so privileged to have had my first dose when so many people around the world will have to wait such a long time for theirs.     Good luck all and all I can tell you is that the roll out and administering of the vaccine is brilliantly well organised,   hats off to all involved.         Keep safe all.       

Regards, Hazel