How to be a bad birdwatcher

Anonymous
Anonymous

During my week away I read this book by Simon Barnes. I know SB from his articles in the RSPB Birds magazine and I like his style.

This book, 'How to be a bad birdwatcher' is an excellent read; well written, funny, informative and joyful.

I learned quite a bit from reading it and was inspired by how easy it is to become a 'bad' birdwatcher.

If, like me, you sometimes dispair of learning birds by their plumage or call, just read this book. How can you not be drawn in when he says"Let's compile a list of birds that you can already recognise - even if you call yourself the most ignorant birdwatcher in the land" and goes on from those dozen or so 'obvious' ones like Robin and Swan to introduce you into a world of birds both common and exotic, everyday and rare. And he gives equal weight and importance to each one and delights in them all in equal measure.

It is also a very moving, sensitive book that explores his relationship with his father.

I loved it and would recommend it to anyone. I am off to find his other books now too.

Happy reading

Pipit

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 08/11/2010 21:15 in reply to Craig B

Oops, what have I started!!

I kinda guessed Seymour would not enjoy this book as it does observe birds from a simple and yet joyful viewpoint. However, for every Seymour there must be hundreds of birdwatching novices who will be much heartened by this book and can now call themselves 'bad' birdwatchers.

Don't argue, chaps, just carry on enjoying what you do in whatever way you do it.

Cheers

Pipit

ps. Sorry I missed your original thread Craig. x

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 08/11/2010 21:22 in reply to Craig B

Hi Craig

Sounds my type of book that you have mentioned here

Will look into you have mentioned with the author (dry wit or not I am flexible) - {big smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

Hi Pipit,

you maybe interested in this thread regarding wildlife books. I think I mentioned Simon Barnes book here too.

Great little read and I love his dry wit.

http://community.rspb.org.uk/forums/t/23389.aspx

Thanks

Craig

• seymouraves said:

The author does a great job in conveying the simple pleasure to be gained from watching birds. 

The book could probably be summed up as "Enjoy what you see, whatever it is".

Agreed :))  But I like to know WHAT  I'm looking at and where it's come from :)

[/quote]

I definitely agree with you; it is frustrating to not know what it is you're looking at, especially when you suspect it may be something you've never seen before.  But there is still pleasure to be gained from the common, from the birds you see every day.

Perhaps I can rephrase it more accurately as: "Enjoy what you see, whether for the first or the thousandth time." I think that is more what the book is about. :o)

• I too have read and enjoyed this book.

It's just a simple, relaxed book best read on journeys to and from Reserves and Holidays.
    I quite like Barnes' easygoing style of writing, especially in the RSPB magazine. He makes some very observant points at times as well as surprising you with some insightful ideas that make you think.

If you liked this book then I would suggest you buy his follow-up books:

How to be a Bad Birdwatcher: To the Greater Glory of Life and

A Bad Birdwatcher's Companion

Best wishes, Graham

• We all have a difference in opinion at times which is healthy and thought provoking. Debate is a good thing in my mind.

I agree with McAlan - its not a book that will give you the different race plummages of the Yellow wagtail but it does however put some perspective on watching wildlife and the very enjoyment that you can take from it.

thanks

Craig

•  

Hi-

" I definitely agree with you; it is frustrating to not know what it is you're looking at, especially when you suspect it may be something you've never seen before.  But there is still pleasure to be gained from the common, from the birds you see every day. "

Exactly why I made my comment about Goldcrest :)   An everyday bird that looks great, is unbelievable to look at in the hand and crosses oceans in autumn :))

:)

S

ps- NOBODY but NOBODY  ( except maybe a Scandinavian ringer) looks at  Blue Tits asoften as I seem to  :) ***

***  possibly Hyperbole but not by much  :)

• seymouraves said:

Exactly why I made my comment about Goldcrest :)   An everyday bird that looks great, is unbelievable to look at in the hand and crosses oceans in autumn :))

I wish I lived where you lived, seymour, where a Goldcrest was an everyday bird. ;)

And regarding Blue Tits, I doubt it is possible to notice one and then turn away. :)

Anyway, I'll take a look at Simon Barnes' other books, what with Christmas coming up shortly...

•  

Hi-

Goldcrests breed in the lone conifer in my garden :)

S

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 09/11/2010 17:24 in reply to McAlan

Hi McAlan

I must buy some of the books mentioned here but really to me, it depends how many hours are in the day.  I much rather be out and about, and seeing the bird species with my own eyes.  Still it is nice to hear other people's/author's prespective of birds by the written word in a book or an article in a magazine.

Know what you mean about people in hides giving a running commentry about all what they see.  One of my own experiences over the weekend denoted exactly what you are saying here.  This person was loud.   Dave and I did everything to avoid eye contact due to the fact he wanted to talk about everything but birds!!!.  Dave and I talked in whispers between ourselves as we believe that is the polite thing to do in a bird hide.  He took offence at us and said I am not saying what birds we are seeing. and moved with a loud crash to the other side of the hide.

Dave and I where on limited time at Norfolk.  We did not want this type of interaction with someone who was happy to dominate everything that was said.  I thought he was quite rude to be honest.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

McAlan said:

The author does a great job in conveying the simple pleasure to be gained from watching birds. 

The book could probably be summed up as "Enjoy what you see, whatever it is".

Agreed :))  But I like to know WHAT  I'm looking at and where it's come from :)

[/quote]

I definitely agree with you; it is frustrating to not know what it is you're looking at, especially when you suspect it may be something you've never seen before.  But there is still pleasure to be gained from the common, from the birds you see every day.

Perhaps I can rephrase it more accurately as: "Enjoy what you see, whether for the first or the thousandth time." I think that is more what the book is about. :o)

[/quote]

• seymouraves said:
    ps- NOBODY but NOBODY  ( except maybe a Scandinavian ringer) looks at  Blue Tits asoften as I seem to  :)

Hi seymour

I look at blue tits every day. They are constantly in my garden so I see them whenever I watch the birds through my window, or indeed if I look through any windows to see if there are any cats around trying to bother the birds. :-)