Bad pics of fab wildlife :)

Just because there's way too much great photography on this site...!

You know the feeling. You only got one or a few photos of it and they're not very good, but you can't bear to throw the photos away because they're all you have of that particular species. So you keep them, just until you get better ones :) We've managed to 'upgrade' some of the species below since these bad pics were taken, but not all...

Please join in! I can't be the only one who hordes terrible wildlife photos :)

Collared Flycatcher

Otter

Peregrine

and best (worst) of all, Nightjar!

• Gosh,  now I'm really intrigued ..........why did I have to mess up this photo  LOL !!      Aiki ........H E L P   us  !!

Regards, Hazel 

• Hazy, can you give us any indication of size compared to some common bird, because it's very difficult to judge from a photo. Also what were its wing beats like, very fast or not so fast.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I must confess I had to look in my bird book - but the black head and beak look just like a guillemot's.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Unknown said:

Hazy, can you give us any indication of size compared to some common bird, because it's very difficult to judge from a photo. Also what were its wing beats like, very fast or not so fast.

LOL TJ,     it was such a fleeting glance I got as it must have taken off from the Flash area;    If I had to hazzard a guess I would say it was the size similar to a B.H.Gull  so I think significantly larger than a Guillimot wingspan and wing beat would be not so fast due to its longer wings.     I wish I could play a rewind tape  LOL   .............oh, and take a better shot ! 

Regards, Hazel 

• It is a Guillemot don’t let the colour of the leg throw you off.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• http://www.geograph.ie/photo/3056909

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Gordon Bennett, Hazy, that's a weird one. I don't see how it can be anything other than a gull (Herring going by pink legs/feet) with a freaky shadow over its front half. But we should try to get RoyW to take a look too.

Not a guillemot (Black or Common) - wings much too long, tail too long (and wrong colour, it's black in both guillemots in all plumages), legs wrong colour (scarlet in Black, black in Common), plumage pattern wrong for both.

• Hi, Aiki.  I'm going off topic for a moment to let you know we're going to Sculthorpe today.  Fingers crossed!

Back to the mystery bird - it's really strange, isn't it?  That's a very precisely placed shadow if it is a gull, except that the bird looks like it's in sunlight!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Oooh, good luck with Bullfinches at Sculthorpe, Clare! Stick around into the early evening if you can, it's a good site for Barn Owl...

• We're going to be unable to do that on this occasion, Aiki, as we need to collect our daughter from her riding school at 5pm.  Still looking forward to visiting, though.