Peregrine (young)? or ...?

This landed in front of us whilst walking on the Northumbrian coast. First though was Peregrine but the "mask" doesn't seem right. Seemed to small for a Sparrowhawk and I know it's not a Kestrel

• I would say it is a Sparrowhawk Michael, maybe a male as they are smaller than the female by a quarter less of the overall size.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks Hazel, I was thinking a Sparrowhawk would show a bit browner but the eyes look right. So I'll go with that as it's my first picture of a Sparrowhawk and Peregrines are ten a penny!
  • The front doesn't look as brown as you might normally expect for an adult male, but definitely a Sparrowhawk. Maybe an immature one? If you're not one of those who get them in the garden, then they are exceptionally difficult to catch on camera, so congratulations.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Thanks for the confirmation Nige. It did maybe seem like a juvenile in the way it landed so close and stayed for a bit. We had what we assume was a sparrowhawk once in the garden but it was just a steak and a few feathers left behind so no chance for a pic :)
  • Hi

it's a female sparrowhawk:)

juveniles have streaks on the breast then bars on the belly

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• In reply to seymouraves:

Thanks for the confirmation and extra info!
    Mike