I've some new toys to play with

Furlough hasn't been kind to my bank balance, but it has been good for my ego!

First, I treated myself to a new lightweight tripod, the Manfrotto Compact Advanced, capable of holding my camera and big lens...

Then, after my old camcorder died a couple of months ago,I decided to treat myself to a new camcorder, except, I went a little overboard on the specs!

The driving force for this camcorder was the viewfinder. While the LCD screens are very good, there are times with brilliant sunlight where I can't see the subject clearly enough, which is where the viewfinder will come into its own.

A new Canon HF G60, all the gear and definitely no idea in my case...

First impressions, WOW!

• Michael B said:
    only the LCD screen is operational during video, which can be a bind in brilliant sunlight. In brilliant sunlight, I find the viewfinder more comfortable to use

Very true, the screens aren't easy when you're used to viewfinders.  I've been using the 5D4 a fair bit for video of the insects recently & have found an App that will talk via Wifi to the camera.  That works pretty well (the phone screen is brighter than the camera, plus you can shadow it if needed), especially as the App gives me focus peaking (handy with the manual focus probe lens) and, with the camera/lens on the ground, makes for far more comfortable use!

• Unknown said:

Michael B said:
    only the LCD screen is operational during video, which can be a bind in brilliant sunlight. In brilliant sunlight, I find the viewfinder more comfortable to use

Very true, the screens aren't easy when you're used to viewfinders.  I've been using the 5D4 a fair bit for video of the insects recently & have found an App that will talk via Wifi to the camera.  That works pretty well (the phone screen is brighter than the camera, plus you can shadow it if needed), especially as the App gives me focus peaking (handy with the manual focus probe lens) and, with the camera/lens on the ground, makes for far more comfortable use!

Is the app called "Canon Connect" ?

If it is, I can highly recommend it, I've been using it for a few years on all my Wi-fi enabled cameras.

The only downside is, when Canon update the app to accommodate new cameras, you have to go through the setting up process for each camera. I've stopped updating the app, because all my current cameras are covered.

There is a plus with the app, memory cards like any tech are not infallible to failure, so at the end of each days shooting I backup all photos to the device, and once I'm home hand have downloaded all images, I can them delete tham.

The only downside is, all images are saved as jpeg, not RAW, but, if that's the saving grace, then I'm comfortable with that.

• Not the Canon App, the one I'm using is a Helicon remote one. I don't think the Canon one gives you focus peaking, which was the feature I was particularly after.
  • Looks a brilliant app WJ, there's so much to learn when it comes to photography; I might need to book at least a years tutorial with you lol This app may be a good way to keep occupied during the long winter months, always wanted to try photo stacking but at the moment I'm trying to remember how to use the basic functions on the camera after 4 months lockdown as I've hardly taken any shots and forgotten where the on switch is lol
  • Unknown said:
    after 4 months lockdown as I've hardly taken any shots and forgotten where the on switch is lol

Don't worry, there are so many functions and customisations possible on these things, it's easy to forget stuff.  I've just spent 20 minutes trying to work out why my 5D4 wasn't behaving like the 7D2 in a specific situation when shooting today.  Got there in the end, but it was a real "Only does it if you stand on one leg holding the camera in the LEFT hand on a Monday" kind of thing!

• Unknown said:
    Not the Canon App, the one I'm using is a Helicon remote one. I don't think the Canon one gives you focus peaking, which was the feature I was particularly after.

I've just had a quick look at the app, it looks quite an able app, I see what you mean with the focus peaking, I may just give it a try.

I's been a while since I used the Canon Connect for finite photography, so I can't remember how far I managed to push its abilities, I'll have to have another play around sometime soon, and compare the two.

• Unknown said:
    Looks a brilliant app WJ, there's so much to learn when it comes to photography; I might need to book at least a years tutorial with you lol This app may be a good way to keep occupied during the long winter months, always wanted to try photo stacking but at the moment I'm trying to remember how to use the basic functions on the camera after 4 months lockdown as I've hardly taken any shots and forgotten where the on switch is lol

We'll never stop learning, technology and photography is constantly evolving and with mirrorless becoming more usable, there's more in the wind....

In some respects, while it's nice to have things made easier, some of the fun has almost been taken away....

• Some more videos from the new camcorder, the long tailed tits are back with vengance, and I'm not so sure there isn't a second brood!

Long Tailed Tit on Pellet Feeder 

A long tailed tit on the pellet feeder 

https://youtu.be/oZbYovczTZw 

A variety on the pellet feeder 

Regular visitors to the pellet feeder, long tailed tits, blue tit and juvenile house sparrow 

https://youtu.be/RW17N2D16_c 

Now the pellet feeder has been filled! 

A sole long tailed tit is first to the freshly filled pellet feeder, but it isn't long before its solitary feeding is shared....

https://youtu.be/nCjp0YuGOo0 

• Hi Mike - Pleased to read about your new kit. What fun! I, too am close to retirement, and much enjoying photographing the natural world with my new camera. Lots to enjoy.

Lovely videos!

Best wishes