I've some new toys to play with

Furlough hasn't been kind to my bank balance, but it has been good for my ego!

First, I treated myself to a new lightweight tripod, the Manfrotto Compact Advanced, capable of holding my camera and big lens...

Then, after my old camcorder died a couple of months ago,I decided to treat myself to a new camcorder, except, I went a little overboard on the specs!

The driving force for this camcorder was the viewfinder. While the LCD screens are very good, there are times with brilliant sunlight where I can't see the subject clearly enough, which is where the viewfinder will come into its own.

A new Canon HF G60, all the gear and definitely no idea in my case...

First impressions, WOW!

• Michael B said:
    First impressions, WOW!

Absolutely, Wow , wow, wow  ENJOY.

and we look forward to your lovely captures soon.

• Wow, Mike. You have been splashing the cash. I think Hollywood may be on the phone soon for their next blockbuster movie. Look forward to seeing your videos soon.
  • Lovely gear Mike and good for you treating yourself, hope you get lots of fun out of your new purchases, that's a very professional looking video camera so enjoy it all and look forward to seeing the footage.
  • That is one set of kit Mike, have you got a sherpa to help with carrying it all?
  • New toys are fun, aren't they!

I have enough trouble deciding which of the telephoto, macro or wide angle lenses to take with me and half the time end up with all. I'm not adding a camcorder to the mix as well ... unless, as Tony suggests, it comes with free transport! Do you have a dog that you could strap the tripod to? Slight smile I suppose I should check out the DSLR on video first as to date I've never shot a single second even to test it, but best not hold your breath!I

• Very nice, masterpieces on the way we're all expecting! :-) The only trouble with new hardware is all the extra buttons to work out.....
  • Tony T said:
    That is one set of kit Mike, have you got a sherpa to help with carrying it all?

Getting ready for my retirement, within less than a few years time.

I used to carry a heavier weight when out on the mountains, particularly during winter, when my pack would also include spare clothing.

The heaviest bits of kit are the 5D MkIV and Sigma 150-600, the rest is quite light, well, now I've bought the new tripod, but if there are any volunteers.....

• Unknown said:

New toys are fun, aren't they!

I have enough trouble deciding which of the telephoto, macro or wide angle lenses to take with me and half the time end up with all. I'm not adding a camcorder to the mix as well ... unless, as Tony suggests, it comes with free transport! Do you have a dog that you could strap the tripod to?  I suppose I should check out the DSLR on video first as to date I've never shot a single second even to test it, but best not hold your breath!I

Many DSLR's provide good video.

I only take two lenses, the 24-105 and 150-600. However, on the odd occasion where I've needed a wider lens, then the 18mm will slip easily in a pocket.

The 5D MkIV does, but I have niggles, the Sigma 150-600 lens is noisy, you can hear the focus motors working, plus the only the LCD screen is operational during video, which can be a bind in brilliant sunlight. In brilliant sunlight, I find the viewfinder more comfortable to use. Take those niggles away, and I wouldn't have made the new purchase, the overall video quality is very good, when I manage to control the camera movement LOL.

• Unknown said:
    Very nice, masterpieces on the way we're all expecting! :-) The only trouble with new hardware is all the extra buttons to work out.....

Very true, but then how often do we use all the buttons on our cameras. I can honestly say for me, not very often, but I'll enjoy the exploration and adventure, making many mistakes along the way.

Basically, I'm looking towards my retirement. Pre-accident, I would have still been on the hills and moors, and as i got older and less able, then photography would come in to play more, plus tinkering in the garden.

In the early married years, I did take a lot of video, and edited it, placed music for backing etc, then when our son came along, that gradually took more and more of a back seat as other things demanded my time. My last camcorder, a Canon E700 was given a new home, along with all the editing kit and accessories.

As for the masterpieces, can I take a rain check on those.... LOL

• The first new videos.

The first two were taken through the kitchen window, so the quality will be considerably lower, but I'm happy enough.

OOOOPS I DROPPED IT

A house sparrow finds some bread for breakie, and drops it while eating...

https://youtu.be/kUvO-de-8ug

Loopy Squirrel disappointed

A regular visitor to the feeders, a grey squirrel, sees an empty feeder and look disappointed, then does a mad dash around the garden!

https://youtu.be/2ZFWIu3Lsrg

The following two were taken outside, in the garden, after the local wildlife became a little easier with the kit and my presence.

Small White Butterfly Feeding

A small white butterfly feeding on the erysimum plant. Look carefully and you can see the proboscis going into the plant to collect the nectar.

https://youtu.be/ndHgfRlmch8

JUVENILE HOUSE SPARROW

Juvenile house sparrow taking in the scenery around it.

https://youtu.be/grQ_G1NQeuA