Human carelessness

Have felt sickened watching out for this poor oystercatcher with a fishing lure embedded in its abdomen.Lame but still able to fly. Local SSPCA aware but have advised to monitor as it is too feisty to catch at the moment. Feel so helpless.

• That's dreadful but good you spotted it & alerted SSPCA, fingers crossed OC can be caught & treated!
  • Only spotted the lure when I zoomed in on the photo that evening. Could see it was lame and initially thought it may have been a distraction technique as it was leading me away from some chicks on the shore but obviously not when I looked at the photos.
  • Lucky you captured the evidence though, presume no more news if bird sighted?
  • Well done for spotting and reporting it.

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm ashamed of being part of the human species in light of recent activities.

My personal observations, but not an excuse, and please, present company excepted, because we've become so distanced from nature, cocooned in our own little world of shopping, football, we've been acting like animals locked up and suddenly released into freedom, in the only way they know.

If it wasn't for the fact the Covid-19 could flare up big time, I'd say open the football stadiums, let them in to an environment they know, and spare the countryside and shores, for many will never learn to reacquaint with nature, no matter what you do.

As I said, present company excepted, so I won't tarnish everyone with the same brush.

• Went down couple of days ago but was a very high tide and so lots of Oystercatchers in a small spot and more to the point, lots of young Oystercatcher and Ringed Plover chicks so parents birds were getting pretty worked up when I was trying to spot the injured one so had to abandon the search. Might try this afternoon between the showers as it is low tide at the moment.
  • Hope you have some luck spotting the injured one!