house martin diary 2020

• In reply to Robbo:

That is such distressing news Robbo. Nature can be so cruel at times. I didn't "like" your post as I thought on this occasion it was inappropriate.

Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• Same here as I didn't like what had happened Robbo, tragic loss which I'm sad to hear about, fibgers crossed the other nests are more successful!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks. I suppose another update is that nest 4 is now occupied by cheaping sparrow chicks. I suppose that is better than if they threw out the martin eggs for no obvious reason as they have done previously.
  •  Contacted the rescue centre. All the young died. None lasted more than an hour after we left them.

On a more positive tone, here's one of their former, bigger neighbours. Took the photo yesterday. At least three in the nest and adults are currently trying to lure them out. As is often the case, young martins are very slow to want to leave home. They often come back to the nest for a few days/nights once fledged.

• Sorry to hear none of the chicks survived despite your best efforts to get them to the rescue centre but glad there is some positive news with other chicks ready to fledge - well, that is when the decide to leave their cosy nest and explore their new world ! At the end of the season I always feel sad to bid temporary farewell to the hirundines and the warblers and can't help but think about their arduous journey across the Sahara. I never cease to be amazed by birds and their capabilities plus their determination and endurance; I really love birds !!

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Well said aitch, can't add more except my condolences too Robbo!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Nest 2 has now also collapsed. Came down last night some time. No sign of nestlings but there is a pyracantha immediately underneath. Had to go to work anyway so even if they'd survived the fall, and the thorns, and survived being eaten, and survived the cold, they'd still have had to survive til I finished work at 2:30 and then spent another 45 mins driving.

On an ironic note, the only mud nest left is the one stolen by the house sparrows who are feeding young still.

Nest 6 young still haven't left the nest. Nest 1 is still being visited by adult martins.
  • What a shame about the second nest collapsing, as you say ironical that the one remaining mud nest is the one with the sparrows in it - so and so's law ! Hope No,6 chicks fledge soon and that No.1 continues well.
    My landlord called round this afternoon to our new apartment and he gave me an update on the martin nest above the door of the rental property we used. The young have fledged thankfully but he now has new tenants who are complaining about the poop dropping down and were insisting he re-sited the nest elsewhere !! Thankfully our ex-landlord knows the laws and respects wildlife so explained it is against the law to do anything with an active nest, even though the young have fledged as they may now be on their 2nd brood. Tenants kicking up a huge fuss so he will try and put a shelf in above the door to stop the poop which is the new tenants main concern and complaint and that should not worry the martins too much if the shelf isn't too near the eaves. Good job I'm not there as I'd read the new tenants the riot act ! I'm sure the landlord will do the minimum he has to and has indicated that he will try to add new nest cups for them in a different location on the estate once nesting season is over so the martins will have another option. Because of the location of the current nests there will always be grief from some tenants regarding the natural nest right above the front door so I have the feeling the eaves will be blocked off at the end of the season, hence him wanting to put up nesting cups in a different area.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• I am back to wondering whether a sparrow got in the nest as I found a nestling yesterday from nest 2. Its head had a central wound, where there was a hole down to the bone. No blood so maybe a slug or worm got to it after it fell and died. Bit strange though that two mud nests collapse but theirs doesn't even though all three were made at the same time with the same mud. The other photo is where the nest had been. Unlike nest 5, nest 2 still had the small amount of original mud left up, so the new mud failed.

• In reply to HAZY:

That's always the worry re house martins. It's baffling why so many people fuss about martin nests. Based on experience, I wonder how many of those concerned about compromised hygiene due to martin mess wash their hands after using the toilet for example! It is scary how many don't.