Please tell me this will soon end......

Good Morning!!

We were lucky enough to be able to move to the countryside 2 weeks before lock down, into a lovely house with a beautiful garden and the most wonderful bird song all day...

However - for the last few weeks there is the most infuriating, incessant, repetitive noise ALL DAY LONG - over & over & over & over......and I mean constantly during daylight......

Just a single noise, always the same noise, over & over & over.. I don't know how it hasn't died of exhaustion, and it's every single day.

It doesn't move, so we are thinking its in a nest - we can't see a nest, and we think it may be next door, but it's literally one of those noises that you cannot 'unhear'...

Can even hear it through the windows!! We can drown it out in the house with music, but sitting in the garden is torture!!

Could anyone please tell me what it is, when it may end, and if you can recommend a psychiatrist to help with the mental torture!!!!

Thank you!!

• Ah the joys of living in the countryside. I remember staying in a villa in Greece and what the locals called a tree cricket kept its penetrating noise up all day and I think most of the night so I do understand how wearing it can be.

Lavinia77 said:
    Could anyone please tell me what it is, when it may end, and if you can recommend a psychiatrist to help with the mental torture!!!!

In answer to your plea: maybe, possibly and definitely not. It would have helped if you had made a recording.

However, I have an idea what it might be. Listen to the clip below.

If I'm right I'll tell you what the bird is. If I'm wrong we'll have to start over.

• Good Morning! 

Annoying bird recorded!

This is honestly relentless - and has been since I woke up at 6.20am.. and will be until it gets dark!

• I reckon Tony is spot on....................  Take a look HERE Lavinia,  sounds very similar to your recording   (Chaffinch call)

• Yes this is it!!!!
    The Chaffinch call - but it is relentless, and has been for weeks, and always from the same place - doesn't move around.

Could it be in a nest?
    Will it leave? When?
    Does anyone want me to send it their way?
  • I suspected that it was probably a male Chaffinch. As to why it does it and how long it will go on for - this the ANSWER given by an RSPB expert to someone who had a similar problem. Looks like you may have to put up with it until the current breeding is over.

• Thank you so much for all the help and super quick and informed responses.

I pray it leaves soon! Or at least learns a new song!
  • Well done Tony, I knew you would be spot on; the call seems to vary ever so slightly but you know your stuff and I'm learning all the time - if only I could remember and retain the sounds for future reference lol !