Self Isolation

I’ve have decided to self isolate myself for at least the next 12 weeks. Only exceptions will be for buying food and other items at my local shops only 5-10 minutes walk away, of which I will take great care. For bird seed and other types of bird food which would have meant travelling on local public tramsport, I will order online to be delivered at my home address. Hopefully this will be all over sooner than later. All the activities with my local RSPB Group including the monthly coach trips have been cancelled until at least the 1st September and the annual UK birdwatching holiday at the beginning of May looks as though that could be cancelled, but the one good thing I will be reimbursed all of my money that I’ve paid for my holiday. Although I could go out on my own using the public bus service birdwatching. I’ve reluctantly decided against that, as my health is more important to me, as I do have diabetes type 2.

• Thomo, sorry to read the sad news, but you're doing the right thing, following the advice and guidelines. I wish you well and I'm sure you'll come out to enjoy more days out at the reserves.

In the meantime, keep in touch

• Thank you Tony, it is. I hope you keep safe. Just try to go at a quieter time, in and out. I carried wipes with me, put some spirit on them in a bag, the alcohol kills the virus, or watered down bleach and wipe trolley handles, shop doors as you use them, wear gloves going in, take off when out again. Even wipe your own car handle steering wheel. You dont think of these things do you. I understand about the online shopping, I don't feel easy with that decision but its their prerogative. Is there someone you know that can get an order who will get a few things for you? Always ask, I'm sure they will be happy to. Stay safe. Elaine
  • I agree with everything you've said Hazy & hope all goes well for all forumites.
    We faced empty shelves last monday in the local supermarket but managed to get supplies of wine in the local Chateau. We wore gloves & put all our purchases in the "quarantine room at home" for 4 days (except fresh foods that had to go in the fridge). We are also on a "no contact" regime but would love to go for a walk or out birdwatching in the car together. However the rules from last tuesday are walks no further than 500m from the house & only trips to supermarket allowed, & must have our signed paperwork at all times that says why we aren't at home! I managed to get registered with the local supermarket such that by ordering today we can collect next thursday, a bit longer wait than I thought it would be, but at least it's still possible. I feel very sorry for the supermarket cashiers who have to face the brunt of all these people bulk buying.
    We'll just have to adapt our eating habits & have a few more bean feasts! Better that than the flu, which could put our lives at risk.
  • Taking one day at a time as it's all we can do; my worst fear would be being asymptomatic so the sooner the better for being able to test for carriers, those infected and people who have already had Covid19 . Glad you can at least order some food Hazel but a shame you can't venture from the house further than the garden. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before more rules are enforced here and really hope everyone does their utmost to heed the advice or I dread to think of the consequences. I do feel the majority of the public fully understand the importance of listening to the professional advice. It's going to be a long haul so its good to have this community link.     I'll try and post as many upbeat threads as I can but with not going out much now it will be hard to get any photos.  

• Hazy thank you and well said. I started with this 10 days ago and my partner has been in isolation at home. When I do leave here, from that day we both have to stay in isolation again for a further 14 days. If I haven't got the virus now, (unlikely) I may have it to go home with it not knowing I am carrying it and start with symptoms 7 days on, plus now they say you can get it twice. We have said as well as testing you when you come into hospital, they should've test you on the way out too! At least they will ring and let you know within those 14 days if its positive. I'm just pleased to hear that Fontline Staff are now being tested. That was so need from the start. Take care all and chin up!
  • I think we all will be self isolating sooner then later, I am coming up to 72 and have COPD so after hearing this off Elaine, I wont be going out again and I am sorry to hear you may have this dreaded virus so hope all goes well for you and wish you all the best, so all I can say is stay safe everyone.
  • James, yes you are at risk. There have been several ladies with COPD so please take care. There is so much false news out there I just wanted people to know from the inside what it is like.
    Take care James and all the best.
    Elaine
  • James G said:
    I think we all will be self isolating sooner then later, I am coming up to 72 and have COPD so after hearing this off Elaine, I wont be going out again and I am sorry to hear you may have this dreaded virus so hope all goes well for you and wish you all the best, so all I can say is stay safe everyone.

That is the governments intention listening to Boris' latest brief last night.

In view of the seriousness of Covid19, I feel it is necessary to sensibly restrict movement, especially as no medication is yet available.

• in a similar position Ian sensible actions to tale need this forum and chat to get use through it all. going to focus on my garden birds get to know them better
  • Sadly I have stopped feeding my garden birds because I was going to move house at the end of April but the way its going its going to be a lot later then that now :(