Self Isolation

I’ve have decided to self isolate myself for at least the next 12 weeks. Only exceptions will be for buying food and other items at my local shops only 5-10 minutes walk away, of which I will take great care. For bird seed and other types of bird food which would have meant travelling on local public tramsport, I will order online to be delivered at my home address. Hopefully this will be all over sooner than later. All the activities with my local RSPB Group including the monthly coach trips have been cancelled until at least the 1st September and the annual UK birdwatching holiday at the beginning of May looks as though that could be cancelled, but the one good thing I will be reimbursed all of my money that I’ve paid for my holiday. Although I could go out on my own using the public bus service birdwatching. I’ve reluctantly decided against that, as my health is more important to me, as I do have diabetes type 2.

• Hi Thomo,
    Sorry to hear about your health but believe you me, you are definitely doing the right thing
    I'm currently in isolation in hospital, no diabetes but really poorly with suspect Covid - 19. Waiting for my results. I have been like this for a week now and got blue lighted in on Tuesday afternoon and I'm struggling needing oxygen and nebuliser steroids and lord knows what else, Yes I am disabled but mechanically nothing to affect my breathing so if I'm this bad, please dont underestimate what this thing can do. If it is or not, I got a virus and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Please, anyone , look out for anyone fragile and at risk, they really don't need this. 3 ladies have gone to aau already, I hope I dont follow. By the way, I'm 60 so not really sitting in the older at risk group either. I'm not trying to scare, those who are younger and healthy should be fine, those who are susceptible please look after them, that's all.
  • Sorry to hear that. I haven’t posted this anywhere publicly before but I've two relatives who’ve had coronavirus for over the last 4 weeks, but are now both recovering and both in there early 50’s. But have been able to spend time at home. But it hasn’t been very pleasant for them, although officially only mild. Hope your ok and get well soon.

• Thanks Ian, sorry about your family but glad they are on the mend. Although still ill, they shouldn't be infectious now from what I've been told so they should be ok to get fresh air when ready. Hope all goes well and thank you for your good wishes. Stay safe, all the best, Elaine
  • Very sensible Ian, do avoid any public transport, stay sàfe!
  • Very sensible Ian, look after yourself and keep well.
    All the best Elain, hope you recover soon and get back to being fit and healthy.
  • Thank you Catlady, still here but being looked after. All keep each other safe.
  • Hi Ian,

It's a good decision to self-isolate, definitely. I've begun working from home and will be doing so for a similar timeframe to what you mentioned.

My local group has also taken the decision to suspend all activities - we won't be doing anything until September, which is a shame, but totally understandable.

Hopefully we can all get our fix of birds from watching what's in our gardens and sharing pictures on this Community!
  • I hope you recover soon Elaine. It sounds very nasty.
    I'm trying to stay in self isolation because of age and other medical matters but it's not easy. For example, most supermarkets are not accepting any new online delivery orders so I shall be forced to enter shops and just be careful.
  • Unknown said:
    Hi Ian,

It's a good decision to self-isolate, definitely. I've begun working from home and will be doing so for a similar timeframe to what you mentioned.

My local group has also taken the decision to suspend all activities - we won't be doing anything until September, which is a shame, but totally understandable.

Hopefully we can all get our fix of birds from watching what's in our gardens and sharing pictures on this Community!

My RSPB Group is from Newcastle Upon Tyne and cancelled everything until September as well. The week long annual UK birdwatching holiday has been cancelled at the beginning of May. But there is the possibility that we may get another date later in the year for the week long holiday. I suppose that will depend, hopefully on the present situation improving

• @ Elaine, really sorry to hear you got so ill and hope the recovery process goes well for you, what a frightening time.
    I wish all those currently suffering or have family/friends who are ill and those in self isolation the strength and courage to face what is currently happening and what may be ahead of us. At least as a group we can be here for one another, if only in words of support and a form of distraction with our posts and photos. Keep well and keep safe all and follow the expert advice most importantly.

@ Tony, I also saw that many supermarkets are not registering new customers - even the vulnerable groups which have been asked to self isolate. Surely, there has got to be a way to switch some availability to those with extra risks of catching this dreadful virus. Hopefully, those who really need to order online food like yourself will be given fair consideration.

Finally, have a heart those greedy, selfish people (and I say this because this site is open to the world wide web) who are constantly revisiting the supermarkets to keep hoarding food; if you continue to do this you should be ashamed; think how you would like it if your family were faced with empty shelves when they may be disabled, have health problems or are elderly and not so mobile. .