Plants, flowers and shrubs; Share your photos here

As I sit here, on yet another dismal, wet and grey weekend, chomping away at some toast and marmalade Mrs PR has kindly done for me, along with a nice cuppa, and sorting through the few photos I've managed to grab so far this year, I think I recalled a thread some time back of plants or flowers people have seen, but couldn't find anything in the searches.

So, without further ado, I thought why not set a thread up for , where all can share their photos, not just in the wild, but the garden, local municipal parks, anywhere, because without these plants, there wouldn't be nature.

It's not unusual to see flowers virtually all year through, not because of global warming, climate change or whatever scenario you prefer to use, but because some plants are hardy and prefer to be winter borne. But for many, the first flowers they really see properly, are snowdrops in February, followed by crocuses (late February- Mach) and then the delightful daffodils (March/April)., bluebells (April time), and much more.

So lets put some colour back into the grey world, spring is coming, so here's a few to set things going.

February; snowdrops

February: Sweet Violet

March: the first daffs in bloom

March: always a sign that spring is on the way, the primrose

March; crocuses (from a local municipal park)

March; mini daffs in our garden

and some proper daffs in the garden, starting to bloom

BTW, I've seen my second bee of the year, having a nosey around the daffs above, the first was late Feb, the second was earlier today, but on both occasions, the weather wasn't right to get the camera out...

• We're trying to get the pond side of the lawn to grow more wild flowers (without having to strip all the grass off the surface first.)

Yellow Rattle, if established, is parasitical to grasses and can help to reduce the grasses root system to allow a more friendly environment for wild flowers to flourish.

I raked the area vigorously last autumn and scattered a packet of around 400 Yellow Rattle seeds. A detailed inspection today found nine ... (yes nine) ... Yellow Rattle plants growing in there now.

EDIT: Looking back, it was actually three packets of seeds, so nine plants out of 1200 seeds .... thats a 0.75% germination rate.

It takes many small steps to complete a long journey.

This is the biggest plant so far.!! I'm so proud of it ...!!   :-)

• Paul A said:

We're trying to get the pond side of the lawn to grow more wild flowers (without having to strip all the grass off the surface first.)

Yellow Rattle, if established, is parasitical to grasses and can help to reduce the grasses root system to allow a more friendly environment for wild flowers to flourish.

I raked the area vigorously last autumn and scattered a packet of around 400 Yellow Rattle seeds. A detailed inspection today found nine ... (yes nine) ... Yellow Rattle plants growing in there now.

EDIT: Looking back, it was actually three packets of seeds, so nine plants out of 1200 seeds .... thats a 0.75% germination rate.

It takes many small steps to complete a long journey.

This is the biggest plant so far.!! I'm so proud of it ...!!   :-)

Our pond land side edge has been left to nature, mainly because the netting over the pond is a pain to remove and refit for grass cutting, apart from that, nothing else has been done and wild daisies, buttercups and alsorts are thriving.

• Might be worth sowing Yellow Rattle in seed trays PA, make your own plug plants to give them a better chance of success ... needs to be sown with grass seeds to act as host & kept out in the cold, below 5°C ... not too difficult where you live?

• My 1st flower from all the seeds I sowed in march....woohoo...very proud moment Joy

• What a beautiful Dahlia, I think. Well done on growing them from seed.
  • Mrs PB took a quick snap of our Japonica or summat or other!

• Thanks CL...yes it is..hopefully many more shall flower soon
  • My new wildflower patches are starting to come into their own

• One of he lavender plants, planted May last year, is starting to show its purple flower heads.

• Beautiful colours on the Pansy, Cornflower and Bluebell, lilac/purple is my favourite colour, that look like it is going. be a healthy rose with the lovely green leaves.