Plants, flowers and shrubs; Share your photos here

As I sit here, on yet another dismal, wet and grey weekend, chomping away at some toast and marmalade Mrs PR has kindly done for me, along with a nice cuppa, and sorting through the few photos I've managed to grab so far this year, I think I recalled a thread some time back of plants or flowers people have seen, but couldn't find anything in the searches.

So, without further ado, I thought why not set a thread up for , where all can share their photos, not just in the wild, but the garden, local municipal parks, anywhere, because without these plants, there wouldn't be nature.

It's not unusual to see flowers virtually all year through, not because of global warming, climate change or whatever scenario you prefer to use, but because some plants are hardy and prefer to be winter borne. But for many, the first flowers they really see properly, are snowdrops in February, followed by crocuses (late February- Mach) and then the delightful daffodils (March/April)., bluebells (April time), and much more.

So lets put some colour back into the grey world, spring is coming, so here's a few to set things going.

February; snowdrops

February: Sweet Violet

March: the first daffs in bloom

March: always a sign that spring is on the way, the primrose

March; crocuses (from a local municipal park)

March; mini daffs in our garden

and some proper daffs in the garden, starting to bloom

BTW, I've seen my second bee of the year, having a nosey around the daffs above, the first was late Feb, the second was earlier today, but on both occasions, the weather wasn't right to get the camera out...

• I too think dandelions the most perfectly formed flower & beautiful colour, such an important early bee food, I leave mine for as long as I can get away with it ... others tend to complain!
  • Unknown said:

On our first trip out to Burton Mere rspb yesterday,  it was awash with colour around the garden area planted with wildlflowers....

Lovely photos Hazel

I'm going to have to make a trip to Burton Mere, and soon, weather permitting, it looks relatively easy to get to, the distance and driving time looks similar to Conwy from home.

• Had a quick wander around part of the gardens outside our new home that surrounds the water area so it gives you an idea of where we are living and why we could give up our old garden more easily !  

We are part of a huge area of parkland/fields/woodland, etc.,    this area of established walled gardens stone pathways leading around the water area is directly surrounding our home and most of which we can see from our windows .... the apartments overlooking the fountain/water area which has a footpath around the edge of the water.    Pond is currently being cleaned up and looks a lot clearer now the algae is settling and lots of excess weed removed.    

the upper pathway around the walled garden area ............

pity about the salt bin !!      these lovely old gates which is part of the walled garden with parkland beyond and two eagles as finials ! 

the gardens behind the water area 

lots of established trees, shrubs including Japanese Acers and conifers;   

interesting bit of the garden's history .... 

and I found an eagle lurking in the shrubbery, sadly, a bit hidden from view 

We're settling in nicely and love the surroundings;    busy now with getting the new place furnished and sorted but I'll try pop back on with any updates.

We have carpets now which we've been waiting for since January  - YAY  !!      Is there such a thing as a carpet party to celebrate ?   now knowing a few of the new residents that have already moved in we don't need much of an excuse to have another get-together   lol       they are a brilliant group of neighbours.

• I am so pleased for both you and Mike Hazel, it must have been so hard to have to give up your beautiful house and garden, that was obvious to us by the lovely photos that you were posting, but understand the considerations for you wanting to move. Seeing these lovely pictures with the colourful gardens, walkways, borders, trees, bushes and the water areas on your doorstep, you at least still have something beautiful to visit, see and look at, I hope it all gives you much pleasure as you settle into your new home. You will probably not only see some of the usual birdies and beasties but new ones as well.

Glad the carpets are now down, bet it feels lovely under your feet! Nice that you have met some of the neighbour's and I am sure anything is worth celebrating, even new carpets!
  • Lynn L said:
    Glad the carpets are now down, bet it feels lovely under your feet!

ooooh,  it's luverly underfoot, like walking on air;   told my Aunt that I have enough carpet left including one huge piece to do her lounge !    Busy week coming up with finishing off a corner edge of a wardrobe, decorator to wallpaper one wall and hopefully later in the week or next, the hallway,  my new bits of furniture are also being delivered tomorrow and an electrician to put up the lights towards the end of the week, plus developer doing a couple of jobs on the snagging list including grouting round the replaced cracked tile in one of the bathrooms !    After weeks of nothing, it is now all coming at once and I finally managed to book a hair-cut   !      In-between workmen,    I have been installing a new printer after sorting out Mike's new laptop computer.   No wonder I don't have time for birding   LOL     I did just spot a pair of Greenfinch in the Cotinus eating the buds;   will sort out pics later and add them here and I have photos of the ground crew guys cleaning up the water garden.    We are told the fish (carp) will be going in the pond in October - apparently this is the best time to add them;   the Grey Heron can't wait    LOL.  

• Ok, here's a couple of photos from yesterday, taken from the balcony.    Two Greenfinch male and female pair who were feasting on the Cotinus.

you can only just see the male on the right with his brighter plumage ..... 

mostly obscured from view but it was nice to see them 

and a Goldfinch in the same shrub although again too distant for a decent photo

and here's what it takes to clean up a water garden   !    2 floating pontoons and lots of energy .....

there were tons of weed to clear which was left on the side for a while to enable the critters to escape ...

• Nice birdies in the shrub. Goodness me they are up to their waists in water, God job well done.
  • Have been doing a bit of propogation from this amazing plant I purchased for only £2.00 from local Nature Reserve, dark purple Ajuga which produces plantlets in the same way as a strawberry plant does!  I cut off 11 new plantlets, some quite large already, would have cost me around £55 + p&p from an online supplier ... do love a bargain! Lol

• Unknown said:

Had a quick wander around part of the gardens outside our new home that surrounds the water area so it gives you an idea of where we are living and why we could give up our old garden more easily !  

We are part of a huge area of parkland/fields/woodland, etc.,    this area of established walled gardens stone pathways leading around the water area is directly surrounding our home and most of which we can see from our windows .... the apartments overlooking the fountain/water area which has a footpath around the edge of the water.    Pond is currently being cleaned up and looks a lot clearer now the algae is settling and lots of excess weed removed.    

We have carpets now which we've been waiting for since January  - YAY  !!      Is there such a thing as a carpet party to celebrate ?   now knowing a few of the new residents that have already moved in we don't need much of an excuse to have another get-together   lol       they are a brilliant group of neighbours.

That is a lovely set of grounds to have on your doorstep, and good news on the carpets.

As for good neighbours, that has to be 99% of the settling down, so good to see you're settling in nicely.

• A Sempavirens plant turning into a triffid.