Plants, flowers and shrubs; Share your photos here

As I sit here, on yet another dismal, wet and grey weekend, chomping away at some toast and marmalade Mrs PR has kindly done for me, along with a nice cuppa, and sorting through the few photos I've managed to grab so far this year, I think I recalled a thread some time back of plants or flowers people have seen, but couldn't find anything in the searches.

So, without further ado, I thought why not set a thread up for , where all can share their photos, not just in the wild, but the garden, local municipal parks, anywhere, because without these plants, there wouldn't be nature.

It's not unusual to see flowers virtually all year through, not because of global warming, climate change or whatever scenario you prefer to use, but because some plants are hardy and prefer to be winter borne. But for many, the first flowers they really see properly, are snowdrops in February, followed by crocuses (late February- Mach) and then the delightful daffodils (March/April)., bluebells (April time), and much more.

So lets put some colour back into the grey world, spring is coming, so here's a few to set things going.

February; snowdrops

February: Sweet Violet

March: the first daffs in bloom

March: always a sign that spring is on the way, the primrose

March; crocuses (from a local municipal park)

March; mini daffs in our garden

and some proper daffs in the garden, starting to bloom

BTW, I've seen my second bee of the year, having a nosey around the daffs above, the first was late Feb, the second was earlier today, but on both occasions, the weather wasn't right to get the camera out...

• Tony T said:

We think this is a variety of Alium, lost all records of any labels, but with its cycle its more like an alien.

It starts of wrapped in a skin.

Then it slowly starts to break out.

Until its fully open and then the individual flower heads start to open.

Finally open to look like this....

Yikes!
    Triffids!
  • The cherries are coming on well....

• I agree Mike, quite like a triffid. I'd forgotten about that program. It showed when I was young, B&W I think! They don't make TV like that any more ha ha
  • Tony T said:
    I agree Mike, quite like a triffid. I'd forgotten about that program. It showed when I was young, B&W I think! They don't make TV like that any more ha ha

I have seen the Film: "Day of the Triffids,", the B&W version, but a good few years after it was made.. It was remade in 2009, though I've not seen that version.

• Tony T said:
    We think this is a variety of Alium, lost all records of any labels, but with its cycle its more like an alien.

Hi Tony, not an alien or a triffid ... after enlisting the help of my Niece we think it is Nectaroscordum siculum aka Sicilian honey garlic ... yes an Allium also known by other names ... the one I like is Mediterranean Bells!

• So impressed by this plant have ordered some bulbs from Farmer Gracy to share with my Niece ... hope they are successful for next year!
  • Well, as one door closes, another will open, the snowbells and blue bells are well and truly finished for this year....

But the erysimum is rapidly producing flower heads!

You may recall around 10 days ago, I'd planted some erysimum and lavender, next photo.

I'm pleased to say the plants are doing well and the bees are interested, though its a little early yet for them to be a food source.

Erysimum

The observant will notice there's an extra lavender plant, next pic

Original lavender plant

Erysimum

• Thank you for the ID Wendy, I'll make a note somewhere and forget where I wrote it ..!

The bees also like them and disappear up inside the flowers.

• Tony T said:
    Thank you for the ID Wendy, I'll make a note somewhere and forget where I wrote it ..!

Maybe you'll remember to look back at this thread?  Lol  

Anyway I'll hopefully have some to post pics of next year ... hope to see actions like in your lovely pic!

• These were all taken around the garden over the past week or so with either macro or a large zoom lens.

Iris close-up

Weigela 

Clematis Montana

Euphorbia Wolfeneii

A Cotoneaster with bumbly bee which they absolutely love, if you don't have one in your garden get one for the bees.

Stipa Gigantea just showing its first seed heads taken on May 15th

Lilac 

And finally this week the Stipa on the right much larger with Chives, Sage flowers which bees love and a later Alium in the background.

And the back of the pond with Foxgloves, Sisyrincium an Iris in the pond and fading aliums