25th - 27th Big Garden Birdwarch Results

Hello fellow forum friends. Thought I would start this thread, so that we could all share our results over the next few days. It is interesting to see what different featherd friends visit each other's gardens. Hopefully we will all have a good count and the birds turn out in the hour that we want them to and not decide to hide away, only to appear soon after the hour is up. Good luck everyone.

• West Lothian. Sunday 26th 1:10pm - 2:10pm

Started off slowly, ground to a halt in the middle, and ended in a finger clicking frenzy.!! Long live the tally counter for Jackdaws, House Sparrows and Starlings......now you see them......now you don't... etc.

House Sparrow - 24
    Starling - 36
    Chaffinch - 2
    Blue Tit - 2
    Great Tit - 1
    Woodpigeon - 3
    Jackdaw - 47 (from a flock of around 200 in the fields behind the garden)
    Rook - 4 (not as many as would normally come down first thing in the morning)
    Collared Dove - 4
    Blackbird - 4
    Robin - 1
    Magpie - 4
    Dunnock - 2
    Wren - 1
    Idiotic Black & White Cat - 1 (Was certain he was locked in the house. Convinced he's learned to pick the lock on the cat flap).!!

:-)
  • Sun 26th Jan 0930-1030

At feeders:
    Sparrows - 10 (about the norm)
    Starlings - 6 (less than usual for the time of day)
    Blue tit - 2
    Great tit - 1
    Collared dove - 2

In tree:
    Crow - 1
    Magpie - 2
    Wood pigeon - 1
    Feral pigeon - 2

Ground feeding / hedge flitting
    Robin - 1
    Wren - 1
    Chiff chaff - 1 (never seen one in garden before so well chuffed! Was pecking at the creeping Jenny by small pond)
  • Should also add - medium sized garden by the sea (south coast - just outside Brighton)

Disappointed with lack of Blackbirds, haven’t seen a single one in garden since early Autumn. No goldfinches during winter either - had loads in the Summer.
  • Should also add - medium sized garden by the sea (south coast - just outside Brighton)

Disappointed with lack of Blackbirds, haven’t seen a single one in garden since early Autumn. No goldfinches during winter either - had loads in the Summer.
  • Finally dried up and wind calmed down so from 2:45-3:45 I had the following visitors in my garden:

Blackbird 3

Great tit 7

Starling 2

Coal Tit 6

Lingtail Tit 6

Pigeon Mafia only 5 turned up today

Magpie 3

Robin 2

Chaffinch 3

House Sparrow 1

Blue Tit 9

Wood Pigeon 1

Dunnock 1 

Squirrel

and finally either a song thrush or mistle thrush having a bath in the pond

• Berkshire garden 12:15 - 13:15. Rather quiet as it's been so mild and birds not so interested in food.

• Blue Tit  2
    • Great Tit  1
    • Dunnock  2
    • Blackbird  1
    • Robin  1
    • Jackdaw  2
    • House Sparrow  9
    • Magpie  2
    • Wood Pigeon  2
    • Starling  4
    • Goldfinch 1

I didn't count the Red Kites of which there were at least five that came down for chicken scraps

I might try to do another count tomorrow depending on the weather

• Good evening CL et al,

This is a great chit chat.

Carly-Jane chuffed with your chiff-chaff - excellent,

MC - I was totally over excited about my 12 sparrows and you have 35!!

Linda - what a fabulous photograph.

It was a funny count this year; I am always saying I've seen 12, 17 of . . . . but Saturday was a strange day and everything had a lie-in on Sunday.

So, I thought I'd do the front garden today which has 2 buddleia (too many spellings of that) various small shrubs, is about 20' deep and has seed, nuts, mealworms, sunflower hearts and fat balls.

I saw: Blue tit x 1, Magpie x 1, Robin x 1, Dunnock (singing and singing) x 1, House sparrow x 3 and starling x 2 - this pair made 5 visits.

As it was rather quiet I counted passers-by for the last 1/2 hour and counted 11 cars and 10 pedestrians. That makes me feel better as I was beginning to feel it was way too busy round here.

South Hertfordshire.
  • It was nice to sit back and relax and watch the birds for an hour on Saturday, here's what I saw

House Sparrow - 33 (counting these was a fun challenge)
    Feral pigeon - 6
    Magpie - 5
    Jackdaw - 2
    Squirrel - 4 (these didn't go in the results but they were very amusing to watch)

It's typical that the moment we're done a lot more activity happens, later that day I had 11 magpies in the garden at 1 time! and early morning before filling up the feeders I had 22 pigeons sitting on the roof,

• Really really incredibly sad that I saw no sparrows.
    The council cut the hedges in my neighborhood at the wrong time of the year and all our quite large population of hedgesparrows have just dissapeared for st least 6 months.
    The only sparrows I have seen is a pair that visit up by my work.
    Considering they are supposed to be the most common bird its a damning commentary for conservation and incredibly sad.
    I walk to work and the only sparrows I see in 20 minutes is the single pair at work.
  • On the plus side its very exciting to have a local barn owl !