25th - 27th Big Garden Birdwarch Results

Hello fellow forum friends. Thought I would start this thread, so that we could all share our results over the next few days. It is interesting to see what different featherd friends visit each other's gardens. Hopefully we will all have a good count and the birds turn out in the hour that we want them to and not decide to hide away, only to appear soon after the hour is up. Good luck everyone.

• Good morning CL, how is Caithness? Fab thread.

Saturday 25th January 2020 08:20 - 09:20

Robin x 2 - couldn't believe it, one at one end of the garden and one at the other
    Blackbird x 1
    Starling x 4
    Goldfinch x 6
    Long-tail tit x 4
    Blue tit x 4
    Dunnock x 2
    Coaltit x 1
    Great tit x 2 (2 different pairs, one much smaller than the other)
    Mistle/Song Thrush x 1

Am going to spoil myself and try another few various hours over the 3 days as I only usually see them in passing or for 10 or so minutes so this is a privilege.

Happy watching all.
  • Hi Pirate, Caithness is great. Lovely day today, quite mild, no wind or rain or frost!! Hubby just away over the road to play some golf, 1st chance really this year. I had not too bad a bird count, so two happy people. Here are my results.

I put out seed, peanuts, sunflower hearts, nyger seed, assorted fat balls, fat cake, digestive biscuits and apple. Done on 25th at 12.20pm - 1.20pm.

Blackbird x 3
    Blue Tit x 3
    Crow x 4 (unsure which)
    Chaffinch x 2
    Dunnock x 2
    Goldfinch x 5
    Great Tit x 1
    Greenfinch x 1
    Sparrow x 4
    Robin x 3
    Starling x 20
    Seagull x 2 (unsure which)
    Pheasant x 1

Total of 50 birds from 13 different species. Was delighted that my Mr Percy pheasant came strutting his stuff. He is a cracker this fellow, he has the longest tail I have seen on the ones that come about. No misses with him today or any of the rest of the family.

• Nice to hear what folk have seen during their hours birdwatch; I haven't participated officially this year being in rental property and otherwise pre-occupied completing purchase on our new pad  which should happen on 28th Feb, but unofficially, we saw...…..
    2 Robins, 2 Tree Sparrow (I starting counting after waiting over an hour for the TS's  to turn up ! ) 1 Dunnock, 2 Blackbird, 5 Blue Tit, 2 Great Tit, 6 House Sparrows (within a one hour period this morning). Wren didn't turn up to the party this time ! Pity we can't count fly-pasts as we had flock of Canada Geese, 1 Common Buzzard, numerous corvids and a flock of roughly 15 starlings !

• A grey and gloomy morning in S Suffolk but not a bad count, its what we would probably expect on any given day.

Goldfinch 19
    Chaffich 4
    Greenfinch 12
    Great Tit 2
    Blue Tit 5
    Robin 1
    Dunnock 2
    Blackbird 3
    Long TT. 4
    Collared Dove 2
    Wood Pigeon 8
    H Sparrow. 1
    Coal Tit 1
    Pied Wagtail 1

Some of our usual visitors who turned up too late to count were a couple of Starlings, C Crow, Magpie & G Woodpecker & Pheasants

• Great Tit 1
    Blackbird 1
    Blue Tit 2
    Black Cap 1
    Green Finch 4
    Gold Finch 2
    Srarling 1
    Robins 2
  • For some reason i didnt get the number of birds i get during the week.. Colchester.
  • Carole in Kent
    1 Chaffinch
    4 Great Tits
    2 Magpies
    2 Pigeons
    2 Black Birds (1 male,1 female)
  • Hi from the rainy North East.

Yesterday's count in my garden, from 3-4 pm, included:

1 Blackbird
    1 Coal Tit
    3 Great Tits
    2 House Sparrows
    1 Magpie
    2 Woodpigeons
    1 Jackdaw
    2 Bullfinches - 1 male & 1 female

A Robin that chases us around the garden did not put in his usual appearance. We usually have a lot more Woodpigeons, Magpies & Jackdaws. Blue Tits also usually frequent our garden. We occasionally see Wrens & Dunnocks. Red Kites fly over our garden every day & a Greater Spotted Woodpecker lives in the general area throughout the summer months although I have seen it as late as December in the past. Pheasants have also been known to take up residence in our garden for a couple of weeks each Feb. I am particularly pleased about seeing the Bullfinches yesterday as they aren't a common visitor to our garden.
  • Mitcham in Surrey, between 1pm and 2pm yesterday.

Robin - 2
    Magpie - 2
    Dunnock - 1
    House Sparrow - 35
    Starling - 3
    Blackbird - 2
    Ring Necked Parakeet - 2
    Feral Pigeon - 39
    Goldfinch - 8
    Great Tit - 2
    Blue Tit - 4

The Greenfinches arrived about an hour later and I didn't see my resident Wren. The count came to an abrupt end with the arrival of the Maggies. The small birds scattered and that was that. The Parakeets didn't worry them.
  • Sunday 26th January. 2020. 12.30 til 1.30. Robin great tit x2. Blue tit x4 dunnock x3 sparrow x4. Blackbird x3 goldfinch x2 wood pigeon x2. Collared doves x2 jackdaw x5. Saw a pair of goldcrests yesterday but didn't appear today!