Beyond the garden

So today I thought I would zoom in on the trees beyond my garden to see what I could see.....

Goldfinches never come in my garden Confused but glad to see they are not far away

No idea what this is. Much appreciate an identification thanks Wink

• sorry got carried away looking at my own woodpecker pics I didnt even say how wonderful your capture is! It truely is wonderful .
    We do get a lot of different birds however I have noticed a big delcine in the green finch over past 2 years. sorry to keep picking your brains but...I seem to have 3 daily visiting bullfinches and they only seem to hop around on the ground and turn over any leaves thats are still laying around. Is there something I can put out as offeribgs for them as they dont seem interested in anything on the feeds
  • Linda257 said:
    .I seem to have 3 daily visiting bullfinches and they only seem to hop around on the ground and turn over any leaves thats are still laying around. Is there something I can put out as offeribgs for them as they dont seem interested in anything on the feeds

Brilliant to hear you also have Bullfinches too,     they will prefer sunflower hearts as they are seed and fruit, including berries  eaters.     

Unfortunately,  Greenfinches in particular are very susceptible to a disease called Trichomonosis which has had a huge impact on their numbers.  

• Brilliant thanks will get some tomorrow
  • I purchased live mealworms from this company,   they are quite expensive to purchase although this place was the cheapest I could find and they deliver free via Royal Mail normal postie the next day if you get your order in before noon.     Here is some info on how to look after the live worms which will last two or three weeks;  they eventually morph into beetles.     I fed the worms with thinly sliced potato, carrot, green bean and cleaned them out every two days.   I stored the in the garage in a large Tupperware container with air holes in.      When they arrive, they will have bran in the sack already so you won't have to worry for a couple of days.     Takes a bit of effort but the birds will certainly flock to your garden for them.     To prevent larger birds gobbling them up, including blackbirds,  you can use a feeder like this one.  

• much appreciated Hazel...so much to do this year. exciting times ahead for me and nature in my garden Wink
  • Good luck attracting more into your garden ... and by all means post some photos to show us what you get