Nature NEVER sleeps!

Nature never sleeps, it's always doing something, even those plants that die off for winter, start growing during the dark, cold days of winter.

These daffs in our garden have been sprouting since early December 2019, but the weather has never allowed me to obtain a decent photo.

The batch in this photo, although they're not a big as the next photo, are often the first to flower

This batch, much taller than the first batch, often flower a few days later than the first batch.

Snow drops will be in flower next month, and the crocuses won't be far behind.

Who says nature sleeps in winter!

• Yup, so true, nature is always working away.
  • I'm not good with garden flowers but there are just a few border plants flowering at Pennington ... possibly pansies confused by the very mild winter so far. Quite a few fungi still around, too.
  • We have already seen one or two yellow crocuses in the local park - probably since we are further South than you...

Spring is my favourite season - I see the horse chestnut leaf buds growing almost daily as I pass them on my way to work...
  • Unknown said:
    I'm not good with garden flowers but there are just a few border plants flowering at Pennington ... possibly pansies confused by the very mild winter so far. Quite a few fungi still around, too.

Fungi will love the damp conditions, we have quite a few in our garden, until the squirrels nibble them away, which they seem to love doing.

Perhaps that's why we have hyper squirrels!

• Unknown said:
    We have already seen one or two yellow crocuses in the local park - probably since we are further South than you...

Spring is my favourite season - I see the horse chestnut leaf buds growing almost daily as I pass them on my way to work...

I have seen crocuses here as early as mid-January. However, sadly where I used to see them, is now all houses!

I usually nip to a local Nat Trust, they have plenty of crocuses, and also good snow drop displays.