The explanation for the Starling deaths on an Anglesey lane

Apparently the answer is that they were trying to avoid a predator.???      Seems a very unlikely reason for so many to die at the same time.    Another explanation I heard a month or so back was that the low flying aircraft practicing as they do, had caused a similar fall of a number of birds out of the sky.   We will not hear any more about it but I know which sounds more likely to me.   

• A reminder for those who may not have seen previous comments.Interesting that apparently reoccurrence of 2007 Hmm!

www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-wales-50763597
  • Morning Gaynor and Kate, It's all rather odd and agree it is highly unlikely so many birds would die due to avoiding a predator. Why were they found only on the road or hedgerow and none in the fields either side - it's all very bizarre. Other theory from a Professor and expert on starlings was during murmuration the starlings had been disorientated by reflection and glare off the wet road resulting in the birds suddenly plunging to their deaths. There's so much we still don't know about birds; I read that sudden loud noise (like low flying jet) can cause tachycardia resulting in sudden death or disorient birds but doubt tachycardia would happen to a whole flock. I know jet planes like typhoon can create a sonic boom which could undoubtedly affect birds but then local people would have also heard and reported it. Also worth taking into consideration what the weather was at the time and was it similar weather in the previous incidents – there is a rare phenomenon such as a “microburst” causing sudden and dramatic downdraft air pressure assuming it had been thunder storm conditions.
    I've not heard the results of the toxicology except to say it wasn’t bird flu but it was as a result of “trauma” something which made the birds lose their disorientation during murmuration and plunging on to the lane. Maybe what happened is due to something only the Government know about and remains top secret - testing/training in aircraft from RAF Valley ! Reminds me of Roswell.    Shame there is not enough eye witness account to describe exactly what they saw.

• Cant seem to find anything re 2007, very strange, as you say Hazy why just the road?but then I found this.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-01-16/new-theory-behind-mysterious-deaths-of-hundreds-of-starlings/

• My goodness, conspiracy theories on an RSPB thread, whatever next :). As pointed out above, the major problem with any explanation (bird of prey, jet plane or whatever) is going to be "why only on the road/hedgerow". Ian
  • Discussion regarding this on BBC Radio 2 today at 1:30pm
  • Missed the first ten minutes PA but listened to the rest of public anecdotes ... as usual RSPB came under fire for favouring Hawks to the detriment of Pigeons & smaller birds! Will catch what I missed on iplayer!
  • That link takes me to the current Steve Wright show Kate!
  • WendyBartter said:
    That link takes me to the current Steve Wright show Kate!

Some one has let the cat out of the bag, a secret Steve Wright listener!

• gaynorsl said:

Apparently the answer is that they were trying to avoid a predator.???      Seems a very unlikely reason for so many to die at the same time.    Another explanation I heard a month or so back was that the low flying aircraft practicing as they do, had caused a similar fall of a number of birds out of the sky.   We will not hear any more about it but I know which sounds more likely to me.   

Hmmmm.......

I'm far from knowledgeable on these things, but, I'm tempted to think we may never hear the real reason.

Low flying aircraft have restricted practice areas, and I don't think Anglesey is considered a training area, unlike central Wales, also known as the mach loop, including the Ogwen Valley, not even for rooky pilots, who will have an instructor in the seat behind them ensuring they don't go astray.

Being a cynic 24/7, I wouldn't overlook a conspiracy theory, but some how, I'm not totally convinced. I tend to suspect something more illicit, like an unhappy land owner.....