RSPB Middleton Lakes 9th December 2019

It's been a while since I was last at Middleton Lakes, probably over two months with the wonderful weather we've been enduring, so it was good to get out.

The morning started with dropping Mrs PR at work, which was nice and early, though the traffic (no thanks to HS2 Ltd) meant I missed what potentially could have been a colourful sunrise.

But, I managed to get a half decent sunrise over the neighbouring farm buildings  alongside the reserve.

It was a cold and windy day, with the wind gusting around 20mph and the wind chill down to around 6ºC

For those wondering I use a portable device to measure the wind and temperature, a Kestrel K2000, a piece of kit I found very useful when out on the hills and moors, and I still carry around when out and about today.

So, what of the days sightings?

The morning sun was doing a good job making the trees look a little orange!

A nuthatch was busy feeding away at one of the feeding points.

Yet more foliage was tinted orange by the morning sun

And someone was standing tall!

While wandering around to the hide, a raven was surveying its surroundings from a fence post...

Once in the hide, the first sighting was a great white egret on North Pool, which generally was very quiet.

However, some teal did make an appearance....

Come on Mrs T, get a move on, that nosey man in that building is spying on us!

On the way back to the car, back at one of the feeding points, the nuttie was sttill busy feeding.....

Along with a cheeky grey squirrel

And a nice pose from a great tit, before that too went to feed.

I had a bit of food left over, so I tipped the food on the feeding point, and without further ado, a nuttie was straight in for the suet pellets!

Though a quiet day, it was still pleasurable, and I still managed to take over a hundred photos, but I've sorted a decent selection for all to view.

• Sorry, I missed this post until just now. The notifications are a bit hit and miss, I find!

We lived in Poynton, very close to Lyme Park and the foothills of the Pennines. I used to go out for the whole day on my bike, picking up a posse of friends as I rode along near Pott Shrigley and Bollington. My mum sent me off with a picnic and "be back by teatime"! Such wonderful freedoms - no mobile phones, no fuss - just the open road and some friends. Bliss! I think we got as far as Tatton Park - via Alderley Edge. Happy Days!

Nice to hear about all your trips in the Peak District. Sorry to hear about your awful accident. None of us appreciates our mobility until it's compromised.

Yes, Bakewell is lovely - my Mum's favourite place to take a bus too, and potter round by the river and through the town. Bakewell pudding is scrummy - nothing like Mr Kiplings at all!!
  • Unknown said:
    Sorry, I missed this post until just now. The notifications are a bit hit and miss, I find!

We lived in Poynton, very close to Lyme Park and the foothills of the Pennines. I used to go out for the whole day on my bike, picking up a posse of friends as I rode along near Pott Shrigley and Bollington. My mum sent me off with a picnic and "be back by teatime"! Such wonderful freedoms - no mobile phones, no fuss - just the open road and some friends. Bliss! I think we got as far as Tatton Park - via Alderley Edge. Happy Days!

Nice to hear about all your trips in the Peak District. Sorry to hear about your awful accident. None of us appreciates our mobility until it's compromised.

Yes, Bakewell is lovely - my Mum's favourite place to take a bus too, and potter round by the river and through the town. Bakewell pudding is scrummy - nothing like Mr Kiplings at all!!

Definitely no match for Mr Kipling.