My RSPB Group from Newcastle visiting Blacktoft Sands this coming Saturday

The Newcastle RSPB Group from Newcastle are visiting Blacktoft Sands this coming Saturday by coach in the hope of seeing the Marsh Harrier Winter roost. Which will meant we won’t depart back to Newcastle until after dusk. Weather Forecast for the Humberside area on Saturday not looking to good as there are forecast for very strong gales. Don’t know whether that will have any affect on seeing the Marsh Harrier roost.. But we will be staying as long as the short hours of daylight allows and until it’s practically dark. It must be about 4 years approx since the Newcastle RSPB Group last visited that reserve and then the visit was in May or June.

• It is quite a long trip for your group down to Blacktoft but hopefully it will be worth it for you all. If you are there late enough in the afternoon for the raptor roost it may be quite a highlight. Often there will be both Marsh and Hen Harriers as well as other raptors and Owls too. Enjoy your day Ian and I lookforward to hearing about your trip as we have not been able to get there this year.
  • Hi Pete,
    I’ve been once before, but then it was in May or June. We are departing very early, to have as much time as possible in the short daylight hours of December and then staying until practically dark. With such a small car park, coaches for Blacktoft Sands have book in advance to visit Blacktoft Sands, so I’ve been told. There is actually a waiting list list as places are full on the coach. I always reserve my place on the coach trips every month straight away. Some of the coach trips are more popular than others. The coach trip we have up to Holy Island every year in October is always a popular coach trip and often there are waiting lists. Some trips there is no problem if you wish to reserve place at the very last minute. But I always reserve my place straight. When members receive the newsletter every 3 months they have the coach trips up to 3 months ahead where you can reserve your place and I reserve my place straight away for the next 3 trips.