Stint identification?

Someone told me there might be Temminck's Stint in this flock - at Cley marshes a couple of weekends ago..

Is that right? it's the ones with the pale legs, I think.

Karen B Suffolk
  • I'm no expert but I would say that everything on there is too big for a Stint.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• That's what I was thinking, too. Stints are much smaller than Teal so I don't think you've got any in that photo. If you mean the ones with yellow-orange legs, then I suspect they are all Ruff, although as only the underside is visible, I'm prepared to be corrected.

Nige   Flickr

• Thanks for the information, Bob and Nigel.

Here is another pic which I think contains the same birds in the foreground:

Karen B Suffolk
  • Looking more closely, they all seem to have a white ring at the base of the beak - here is a cropped version (a bit blurry, sorry!)

thanks

Karen

Karen B Suffolk
  • That picture shows Ruff, the white circle at the base of the bill is a good id feature too. I didn't like to say last night as I was only looking at the original picture on a phone screen, but could at least tell they weren't small enough for Stint. - also I don't think that you would expect to see a large group of Stints, let alone a large group of Temincks. I've not seen many Stints myself but the most I have seen together is a pair. Nice flight picture though

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• Thanks very much, Bob - I'm learning all the time, thanks to the lovely people on this forum!

I was a bit confused at first, since In my bird book (RSPB Britain's Birds), the Ruff photos look brownish, whereas these look more grey to me - but I think the lighting/time of day affects things a lot. The book definitely mentions a pale base to the bill for males in their first winter - which is very interesting!

Birdfieldguide.co.uk had a very similar in flight photo to mine, identifying them as Ruff...

Karen B Suffolk
  • In reply to Karen B Suffolk:

Karen B Suffolk said:

Thanks very much, Bob - I'm learning all the time, thanks to the lovely people on this forum!

I was a bit confused at first, since In my bird book (RSPB Britain's Birds), the Ruff photos look brownish, whereas these look more grey to me - but I think the lighting/time of day affects things a lot. The book definitely mentions a pale base to the bill for males in their first winter - which is very interesting!

Birdfieldguide.co.uk had a very similar in flight photo to mine, identifying them as Ruff...

Winter plumage, though Ruff do deem to be one of the waders to vary most from the illustrations.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

I just wish birds wouldn't change their wardrobe each season - it's most confusing for we beginner birders!! ;-)
    Karen B Suffolk
  • If you think of Wagtails Stints are in that sort of size bracket if that helps you get the scale of things

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Hi Pete - thanks so much. I'll try and remember that. Stinted is a bit like Stunted, I suppose!! ;-)
    Karen B Suffolk