North Norfolk Big Skies

We spent a few days on the north Norfolk coast at then end of Oct to celebrate Mrs T's birthday. A very mixed bag of weather with bright blue skies to torrential rain & everything in-between except snow.

We had some great sightings of all the usual suspects expected along the coast but thought for a change would focus on some landscapes and big skies. Birdies will make an appearance on another post.

Thornham Marsh

Brent Geese over the marsh

Wells Next The Sea Harbour view.

Holkham Beach

Morston Marsh

Blakeney Point rainbow.

• I agree, North Norfolk is one of several places in the UK that is about as close as you can get to birdie heaven. We've only been there once many years ago, for a week, but the visit sticks in the mind. We stayed on the edge of Cley and while sitting on the balcony with a cuppa in the late afternoon we watched a Barn Owl quartering along the edge of a wood, less than a hundred yards from the cottage. Not forgetting all of the lovely birds which we saw in several reserves--our first ever Little Stint just outside of a hide, flying Curlews calling hauntingly and a clear view of a Curlew catching and eating a frog at Titchwell, among many others. And in addition to the birds, the cliffs at Hunstanton are beautiful; even Cromer's touristy beach has fabulous sea views, but it was in May so not totally over-run with tourists.
  • Thanks Patsy, I know Strumpshaw & Buckenham Marsh but have not been there for some time. We live in Suffolk so can't help with West Sussex but look on RSPB site and try Sussex Wildlife Trust.
  • Thanks Tony, playing about with my new EOS90D & really pleased with the results. Its is one of my favourite places in the UK, there's something about the huge open landscapes, the peace & quiet when your out on the marsh's and the erie calls of the waders. Although not so quiet these days, its busy all year round now.

I'm sorting some bird pictures out to post at present, having to resize everything.

• Ann you'd find the area some much more busy now, all year round. We tend to stay away in the summer and visit over the end of autumn through to spring.
  • Great photos. That part of the coast used to be a regular haunt for me, but I've not been back for years, now. I keep telling myself to spread a week between the reserves of Norfolk and Suffolk but never seem to get around to actually organising it.
  • Some fabulous photos Tony, and looked a good day out.

The last time I was any where near that area would be late sixites, as a child, when we stayed at East Runton, further east along the coast.

I really must make a return visit to the area, one day.

• Tony T said:

Thanks Tony, playing about with my new EOS90D & really pleased with the results. Its is one of my favourite places in the UK, there's something about the huge open landscapes, the peace & quiet when your out on the marsh's and the erie calls of the waders. Although not so quiet these days, its busy all year round now.

I'm sorting some bird pictures out to post at present, having to resize everything.

The new camera seems to be getting you very good results.