Canon EOS 1D X MkIII

I've just had a notification that the Canon 1D X MkIII is to be launched soon.

For those interested, the link below takes you to the Canon page:

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-1d-x-mark-iii/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItOfX5K-15QIVx7HtCh3X_Aa5EAAYASAAEgJgAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• MIKE!! STOP IT..... I've only had mine since August, Mrs PB won't let me upgrade already!!!!
  • Well we knew it was coming so time to check out the piggy bank contents - or maybe buy a lottery ticket lol
  • I suspect you'll need a fairly big piggy bank for that!
  • I saw that too, it's interesting because it is a notification of development rather than of launch, so I guess it is a few months away as yet. Also why the details are a bit scanty at present. Rumours of a 5DV are gaining traction too (though a year or more away most likely). I'm still not giving up on the possibility of a 7D3: if Canon are having one more round of upgrading DSLRs before mirrorless takes over (assuming it does, I've yet to see a mirrorless Canon with DSLR levels of ergonomics), then we could see an updated version. It's going to take 2-3 years to get a wide range of RF mount lenses into production and I can't see Canon winding down top end EF mount cameras before people can hop straight over with like for like choice (especially on the expensive Big Whites)
  • PimperneBloke said:
    MIKE!! STOP IT..... I've only had mine since August, Mrs PB won't let me upgrade already!!!!

He he he he....

I've only had mine since July, but I'm more than happy with it and not looking to change anytime soon not even for the predicted newer model that's supposed to be on its way.....

But then, after a couple of years (that seems to be the turnaround time), so long as I'm not broke, who knows....

• Unknown said:
    I saw that too, it's interesting because it is a notification of development rather than of launch, so I guess it is a few months away as yet. Also why the details are a bit scanty at present. Rumours of a 5DV are gaining traction too (though a year or more away most likely). I'm still not giving up on the possibility of a 7D3: if Canon are having one more round of upgrading DSLRs before mirrorless takes over (assuming it does, I've yet to see a mirrorless Canon with DSLR levels of ergonomics), then we could see an updated version. It's going to take 2-3 years to get a wide range of RF mount lenses into production and I can't see Canon winding down top end EF mount cameras before people can hop straight over with like for like choice (especially on the expensive Big Whites)

The 7D3 seems very much on the back burner, but who knows.

I was going to hold out for the 7D3, then I'd heard the 90D was replacing the 80D, which replaced the 750D (my previous camera), but impatience got the better of me, I needed a couple of extra features, and the 5DIV offered those, for a little more than I'd set aside, but I'm more than happy with the 5DIV, it certainly has opened up new doors and I'm still learning how to grapple (to coin a phrase) it.

As for mirrorless, that is the future, though like one or two others that have passes similar comments, I'm not so keen on the smaller size, I prefer a decent sized camera body, it feels more sturdy to hold.

I would hate to see the view finder disappear, its better for checking out the area of the photo than a large LCD screen.

I'll probably be feeding the daisies when that happens... Joy

• Mirrorless still gets a viewfinder, but it's a little screen inside rather than an optical path. Poor battery life & ergonomics are the biggest limitations that I can see at present (and fixing 2 with a bigger body would allow a bigger battery to resolve 1). We shall have to wait & see, but at the end of the day, Canon will make what they think will sell and maximise profits. My suspicion at the moment is small bodies at the lower end, larger bodies at the top retaining DSLR like benefits. But we shall see :-)
  • I look at the quality of photos being produced today with current bodies and lenses and I have to wonder, do we really need to be upgrading all the time? Already the photos we produce seem to have superior apparent resolution than the human eye (certainly my eyes anyway). We manage to photograph small fast moving objects with amazing clarity and detail. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice to be able to instantly lock onto anything and everything we point the camera at, with ridiculous clarity, but wouldn't that be taking some of the enjoyment and challenge out of it? Admittedly, the kit I use today is far superior to the kit I was using five years ago, but where does it end? I think technique has a lot to do with it too. I look at some of the stunning wildlife photos out there (from several years ago... and more), and they still blow my attempts out of the water, even using 'dated' equipment.!! Just food for thought.!! :-)

• It is difficult to get out of the habit of wanting to upgrade, isn't it? Whether it's lenses or bodies (tripods or whatever). A personal hide and the time to get a lot closer might yield better results for a lot less money ... but might not be quite so exciting as taking some new kit out!
  • Unknown said:
    Mirrorless still gets a viewfinder, but it's a little screen inside rather than an optical path. Poor battery life & ergonomics are the biggest limitations that I can see at present (and fixing 2 with a bigger body would allow a bigger battery to resolve 1). We shall have to wait & see, but at the end of the day, Canon will make what they think will sell and maximise profits. My suspicion at the moment is small bodies at the lower end, larger bodies at the top retaining DSLR like benefits. But we shall see :-)

Many folk are driven by gimmickry.

Most of the info I receive, irrespective of what options I've selected for marketing, tends to lean to compact and gimmicks (my interests are ignored basically), not my style of camera. Small, state-of-the-art and many other features will sell a camera. 

However, there is a good chance there are enough pros & amateurs out there for camera manufacturers to continue making the SLR body as we know it.