Good old BBC Countryfile !

So a studio set up shot of a mouse in an apple wins the Countryfile calendar competition whose theme was "Beauty and the Beast". How does that work then?

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• I think adherence to any theme in execution is ignored - to be honest, I don't know why they bother with one. Presumably people wasted time discussing in meetings what the theme should be, cleared it with the lawyers in case it had some hidden meaning and the like - simply stating it as "Photo Competition" would be so much easier! A couple of years ago a full 3/4 of the images were staged shots, which I don't mind if that's declared, but I find a bit deceitful in a calendar about WILDlife and the countryside.
    Ultimately, they're simply after 12 pretty images that will sell the calendar, nothing more or less than that

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• I think WJ sums it up perfectly;      I also feel that all the producers are looking for are 12 eye catching images that will sell their calendar to the public and from what I understand (although I haven't read the terms and conditions this time)   is also open to what they class as semi-professionals to enter,  (ie, not more than half your income is earned from photography)  so you can be a professional photographer and enter as long as it meets the this criteria.   @ Bob,   now you've probably read the last bit I wrote I will remove it as I still liked the photo that won overall a couple of years ago, despite not agreeing with who should be able to take part in the "competition".  

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Yes it's sad that "Wildlife" is such a poorly respected term and that staged studio shots are allowed but I guess it isn't to much of a surprise considering the BBC condone the likes of baited hides for pictures of fairly common species. I guess they are more interested in the "shot" and not how "it" was taken.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• Cant be doing with this its a Big Fix, people spends hours outside in all weathers and a studio shot gets it :(

Jim

My Pictures

• I'm tempted to say this is Countryfile - a program that often confuses farming with nature and wildlife so you shouldn't expect too much!
    However, I have to say in balance that I don't care whether a shot is 'wild' or a studio set up and I think it would actually be rather difficult to draw the line. Does it cross the line to feed a robin in the garden so it lands on a fork handle prior to feeding? What if you put a studio light up to make it more dramatic? What about bringing a spider inside on a bunch of leaves? Frankly, I'd say yes, all are artificial studio shots but as I say it doesn't really bother me, as long as the animal isn't being stressed out. If somebody has the idea and then goes to, often considerable, effort of setting it all up, getting the lighting right, etc then good on them.
    What does bother me is ensuring that the animal's welfare is paramount, especially if it is being 'borrowed' from the wild and so, has no owner to look after it and see that even after the shoot is over that it hasn't suffered any change to it's behaviour. And I certainly wouldn't want too many people thinking it's OK to capture wild animals just to take them home to photograph them in controlled conditions and maybe re-release them in an unsuitable area well away from where they were caught. I'm glad it is no longer even considered acceptable to put spiders in the fridge to make them sit still during a shoot.
    In fact it would often be better to use a domesticated animal in studio shots and I imagine it is often done with rodents, raptors and owls etc. but I do agree that people should at least say this is the case and not try to pass it off as a wild shot.

Nige   Flickr

• Bobs_Still_Retired said:

So a studio set up shot of a mouse in an apple wins the Countryfile calendar competition whose theme was "Beauty and the Beast". How does that work then?

It's what appealed to the voting public, probably many town dwellers.

When I first saw the photo, I said to Mrs PR, that's set-up, along with some of the others, not just this year, but in previous years.

At least the photographer was upfront about it being set-up, not that anyone could get away with that being natural....

There have been, not just the 2020 calendar, but previous ones as well, and not even seen the final judging either, where photos I felt deserved more accolade.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Michael B said:
    Bobs_Still_Retired said:

Mike B said

" At least the photographer was upfront about it being set-up, not that anyone could get away with that being natural...."

The photographer may have declared it to the organisers but that info wasn't passed on to the voters. :)

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Bobs_Still_Retired said:

Michael B said:
    Bobs_Still_Retired said:

Mike B said

" At least the photographer was upfront about it being set-up, not that anyone could get away with that being natural...."

The photographer may have declared it to the organisers but that info wasn't passed on to the voters. :)

It certainly wasn't, and it would have been interesting to see how it affects voting if these things ere declared publicly.

I'll be honest, I tend to switch the deaf ear on when it comes to the calendar, because most of the photos selected I'd question the authenticity.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler