Blue Tits

We have a Blue Tit bird box, which is used each year.  Normally about now, we clean it out.  However, the Blue Tits are visiting the bird box, and appear to be spending time inside.

It is too late in the year for another brood, and we don't want to clean it out, incase they are taking up residence again in the box.  We have not looked inside as we do not want to disrupt or disturb them. Does it have to be cleaned each year?

• Yes Hazel, I can remember seeing your bird baking! Lovely that you are still getting the birdies.
  • Thanks catlady. Currently on Virgin Train to London !! Meeting my Aussie nephew who was 11 years old when we saw him 10 years ago ! Hoping we can still speak the language lol.
  • Sure you will cope. Have just read on another thread that you are stuck regarding the accommodation! Hope you get sorted and don't have to pay any more, as it is their fault!
  • Unknown said:

If you get long tailed tits they love raw pastry and will take it from a fat ball feeder or square fat cake feeder:    plain flour, lard (half fat to flour ratio as with normal pastry but don't add salt)  add sufficient water to bind together but so it is not sticky.   I usually add a little bird food to the mix such as berry suet pellets or sunflower hearts or crushed peanuts;  I have even added a small handful of grated mild cheddar cheese but not too much due to the salt content.   The pastry will freeze if you make a large batch which you can defrost the day before you need it.     The tit birds love it and you can place little bits of the raw pastry on twigs, shrubs, etc.,      It is a good extra food option that is cheap to make and can make a large batch, freezing some for later use.  

I like that tip for LTT's.

Next time Mrs PR is baking, I'm on the scrounge, and I know she'll approve, she loves watching the birds in the garden. Thumbsup