New DSLR from Canon replacing the 7D MkII and the 80D

There have been rumours around for a while, that the Canon 7D MkII was to be replaced with more spectacular a MkIII version. Then, I'd read the 80D was to be replaced, and possibly combined with the 7D. It seems that announcement has finally come to fruition, in the form of the Canon EOS 90D, which at the current time of writing, they're taking advanced orders for.

For those with EF/EFS lenses, it will use those just as the old 7D and 80D do. I’ll leave you to make up your mind on the 7D/80D replacement with the link below so you can view the spec.

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-90d/

• Thanks Mike, like with all new cameras and lenses, I like to give it at least three months after introduction to see the reviews and feedback on it before I open my wallet !!
  • Still having trouble opening formatting link so will add a video link about the new model …..
    https://youtu.be/rwcM8tszq48
  • Don't start that....i've not had mine a month yet, I can't be looking to upgrade yet, Mrs PB would go mental lol
  • It's good to see that Canon are still prepared to produce new DSLR's because the trend seems to be going towards full frame mirrorless cameras. Sony has been the market leader in mirrorless and Canon and Nikon have been desperately trying to catch up with their R mount and Z mount systems respectively. Panasonic too have been trying to get in on the act with their latest offerings after years of being one of the best micro four thirds camera producers.
    I don't think the mirrorless offerings from Canon and Nikon are particularly suitable for wildlife and sports photographers so unless you want to ditch your existing kit and switch to Sony we are probably stuck with DSLR's.
    On paper the new Canon 90D looks quite attractive for us amateur wildlife photographers with it's high burst rate, new sensor and high megapixel images (32.5). Probably a good upgrade for existing 70D and 80D owners but not sure whether its' worth it for 7DMk2 users although this is getting rather long in the tooth now.
    I wonder how much longer the likes of Canon and Nikon will continue to introduce new DSLR's. It will be interesting to hear Whistling Joe's take on all this.
  • I'm actually a bit heartened by the 90D - all the rumours about it being a replacement for the 7D2 & 80D are somewhat thrown in the air. The rumours talked about dual processor, dual card slot as well as the 10fps & better sensor. Whilst we've got the upgraded sensor (no surprise, that's normal with a new body) and 10fps is a good uplift from the 80D, the rest of the actual spec is nothing surprising really. Ergonomically, it's an 80D (albeit with the joystick added, which will be a benefit). What Canon have done is produce something that will get 80D owners to upgrade, but someone with a 7D2? Not so sure. All you'd get is a better sensor, but everything else downgraded. That suggests that maybe, just maybe, Canon have left open the window for a 7D3. Which is good news. The biggest problem with the 80D is the AF speed - the 7D2 simply blows it away when you're tracking stuff in flight. That second processor really makes a difference. Now the 90D has a newer processor - but it's also shifting a lot more data with 10fps & a bigger sensor, so have they bumped the AF performance as well? Impossible to say until someone can do a proper side by side comparison, but, with the same 45 point AF as the 80D I'm betting it's not much different. There are also subtle differences in AF performance that are not so obvious. Some bodies, like the 7D2 & 5D4 can drive some of the Big Whites harder & faster than the bulk of bodies. Has that ability been added to the 90D? Not seen anything about it yet, but I doubt it.
    So there's a window still for the 7D3. As-current ergonomics, dual processor, dual slot, 60+ points superior AF as today, but upgraded sensor, uplifted fps to maybe 12 or more. £1.6k price point. Announced alongside the 1DX3 that's expected for the Olympics (Canon have lined up a 1DX & 7D before). Maybe with mirrorless versions, as the 90D was announced with the M6 Mk2 (which are essentially the same innards in different bodies). It actually makes sense for Canon to do that - do one lot of development & research costs and then put the result into two different body styles. That way you don't alienate your market whilst people are slowly drifting towards mirrorless, without incurring huge extra costs supporting multiple sectors.
    Only time will tell - but my cheque book won't be coming out yet either, whereas a 7D3 would have earned Canon an order immediately
  • Unknown said:
    Still having trouble opening formatting link so will add a video link about the new model …..
    https://youtu.be/rwcM8tszq48

It probably would have been a good upgrade from the 750D (24Mpxl), my previous DSLR, which generally I was very happy with. How it compares to the 7D MkII I'm not so sure.

What I do miss, is the movable LCD screen the 750 had, which has been carried over to the 90D. It is handy, not just for selfies, (though I can't afford a new camera if take any selfies), but very handy for those shots where you need the screen at a clear viewing angle when using a tripod or taking that photo from an awkwardly high or low position.

What I do use, is the Canon Connect app on my mobile, which allows remote shooting, as well as downloading/viewing photos.

As for video, very disappointing for me, I don't find using an LCD screen clear enough to use, preferring to get the eye close to the image to see exactly what's there.

However, for those that may be wondering, the 5D MkIV is still to my mind, the best move.

• PimperneBloke said:
    Don't start that....i've not had mine a month yet, I can't be looking to upgrade yet, Mrs PB would go mental lol

The only reason why I shared the info was, quite a few folk at the reserves I visit have been talking about the 7D MkIII, so I guessed one or tow, or even many more, would still be wondering the same.

However, that camera you have is doing a cracking job with you at the helm. Thumbsup.

• Michael B said:
    with you at the helm

Flattery will get you anywhere Mike Blush

• Unknown said:
    It's good to see that Canon are still prepared to produce new DSLR's because the trend seems to be going towards full frame mirrorless cameras. Sony has been the market leader in mirrorless and Canon and Nikon have been desperately trying to catch up with their R mount and Z mount systems respectively. Panasonic too have been trying to get in on the act with their latest offerings after years of being one of the best micro four thirds camera producers.
    I don't think the mirrorless offerings from Canon and Nikon are particularly suitable for wildlife and sports photographers so unless you want to ditch your existing kit and switch to Sony we are probably stuck with DSLR's.
    On paper the new Canon 90D looks quite attractive for us amateur wildlife photographers with it's high burst rate, new sensor and high megapixel images (32.5). Probably a good upgrade for existing 70D and 80D owners but not sure whether its' worth it for 7DMk2 users although this is getting rather long in the tooth now.
    I wonder how much longer the likes of Canon and Nikon will continue to introduce new DSLR's. It will be interesting to hear Whistling Joe's take on all this.

I think mirrorless is the way forward, though as yet, it's probably still a bit in its infancy. Though I've said that, what are compacts? Exactly that, mirrorless effectively and there are some good ones around.

I've the Canon SX280, it has manual exposure controls the same as a DSLR, and TBH, will do the job of a DSLR, except, you can't attach filters....

What I'd hate to see, is the demise of the viewfinder, that is brilliant for getting to see what's in the frame, and also for obscuring sunlight.

• Unknown said:
    I'm actually a bit heartened by the 90D - all the rumours about it being a replacement for the 7D2 & 80D are somewhat thrown in the air. The rumours talked about dual processor, dual card slot as well as the 10fps & better sensor. Whilst we've got the upgraded sensor (no surprise, that's normal with a new body) and 10fps is a good uplift from the 80D, the rest of the actual spec is nothing surprising really. Ergonomically, it's an 80D (albeit with the joystick added, which will be a benefit). What Canon have done is produce something that will get 80D owners to upgrade, but someone with a 7D2? Not so sure. All you'd get is a better sensor, but everything else downgraded. That suggests that maybe, just maybe, Canon have left open the window for a 7D3. Which is good news. The biggest problem with the 80D is the AF speed - the 7D2 simply blows it away when you're tracking stuff in flight. That second processor really makes a difference. Now the 90D has a newer processor - but it's also shifting a lot more data with 10fps & a bigger sensor, so have they bumped the AF performance as well? Impossible to say until someone can do a proper side by side comparison, but, with the same 45 point AF as the 80D I'm betting it's not much different. There are also subtle differences in AF performance that are not so obvious. Some bodies, like the 7D2 & 5D4 can drive some of the Big Whites harder & faster than the bulk of bodies. Has that ability been added to the 90D? Not seen anything about it yet, but I doubt it.
    So there's a window still for the 7D3. As-current ergonomics, dual processor, dual slot, 60+ points superior AF as today, but upgraded sensor, uplifted fps to maybe 12 or more. £1.6k price point. Announced alongside the 1DX3 that's expected for the Olympics (Canon have lined up a 1DX & 7D before). Maybe with mirrorless versions, as the 90D was announced with the M6 Mk2 (which are essentially the same innards in different bodies). It actually makes sense for Canon to do that - do one lot of development & research costs and then put the result into two different body styles. That way you don't alienate your market whilst people are slowly drifting towards mirrorless, without incurring huge extra costs supporting multiple sectors.
    Only time will tell - but my cheque book won't be coming out yet either, whereas a 7D3 would have earned Canon an order immediately

Nicely put. Thumbsup

While at the Photography Show earlier this year, I felt Canon were dragging their heels somewhat on mirrorless, but to be fair, I wasn't in the market for M/L, so I didn't look deeply enough in to it. But it did put me off when they started talking about you'll need this adaptor for this and that adaptor for that....

But, as I said, I didn't fully do my research, I wasn't in the market for M/L, so I may have missed some vital info.