Taking a break from the forum

Dear friends,   it's been a long and bumpy road as several months ago we put our house on the market but finally today and after some rather stressful times we have an exchange of contract so will be having to knuckle down to downsizing from this very large garden and house.     Sadly, I won't have a lot of time to post on the forum but will try to keep up with some posts in-between packing boxes and distributing many of our household items, etc.,       As much as we loved the birdlife in our garden and the area this place left us little time to go on wildlife adventures and as we got older the work has become rather demanding keeping up with everything.     It may surprise you to know that our next move is to a new apartment, however, it is set in 400 acres of parkland and our new home will overlook a water-garden.     There is a common buzzard who passes by and I can hear goldcrests in the conifer trees around as well as the usual suspects like robins, wrens, etc..    so we won't be without birdlife  !!        Our apartment won't be completed until next springtime or so but we are so looking forward to enjoying our retirement more.    We will dearly miss our confiding garden birds and that will be the hardest thing to leave behind.      

So,  keep the home fires burning on here and I will eventually rejoin the clan once we get settled into our temporary rented accommodation  - which we have yet to organise  !!!      Ta ta for now and for those of you who are going up to Silverdale I will see you at the end of next week and following week.      

• Hi Hazy, I wish you well in your new venture & have a lot of sympathy for your reasons for moving. Please pop in from time to time & cheer us all with your lovely photos.
    Talking of home fires we lit ours 2 days ago, jolly cold here!!
  • So, that's two moves then. That'll keep you busy, as well as taking a bit of getting used to - but I hope you won't be absent for too long :)
    Just don't pack the camera in the bottom of a box you won't open till the new Apartment's ready!!
  • Dear Hazel- I understand how hard it is to leave your beautiful garden, pond and all the wildlife,but as you say new adventures await. Hopefully the new owners will carry on feeding the birds especially if your leave a few feeders up. Your new home sounds fab,and just think, you won't have to maintain the gardens or the water garden just enjoy them and take photos of the new wildlife around you!
    Wishing you and Mike all the best in your new home -look forward to seeing photos of your new habitat !
    Jayne
  • Hazel, Wishing you all the best for your two moves (and looking forward to any future photos!). Can we assume that you'll have a few bird feeders on your new balcony, once you've been able to complete your move there (presuming you will have a balcony!)? Or will it be the long lens trained on any local wildlife in the nearby trees, lake, etc., in between excursions to various reserves?! And I expect that you and Mike will not be able to resist the temptation of heading back up to LM at the first opportunity once you have sorted out move number one and are waiting for move number two to be possible!
  • Glad for you both but sad for me ... hope all goes smoothly!
  • Many thanks everyone,   it will be a very different style of abode for us although we have lived in apartments before, both in UK and Australia.       This area, not far from where we live now,  has lovely walks, 400 acres parkland around which was the deciding factor.    There is a lot of development going on with houses as well but it should become a new community with added facilities of Bistro, Gym and Farm shop on site.    Importantly, a place we can just lock up and go out without the worry of security and maintenance.   

@ Nige,   the cameras will be put to one side well away from the long term storage boxes  lol …… but thanks for reminding me as brain is all over the place right now, not knowing where to start and a deadline to vacate  3rd week July !   

@ Ann,   yes the apartment will have a huge south-facing balcony around 10ft x 30+ft  overlooking the water-garden 

• Gorgeous, Hazel, Thanks! Looks lovely (and peaceful, once all the construction is finished!)
  • Lol Alan and thanks also Ann, it's always difficult buying off-plan with a long date completion as there are no guarantees but we have had one of the first choices and it is the one we would have chosen out of all of them; having said we only wanted a very small place next time so this still is bigger than we wanted …. 1,900 sq.ft. (not including balcony area) ….  3 beds, 3 baths although we will make the 3rd bedroom into a study.      We've already seen a Common Buzzard, wild wabbit, mallard with ducklings as well as the regular birds and Cyrils  !   
    (I will now remove the photos since you have seen them).

• Good luck!!! It will be great to see you again.
  • It's been a long haul, Hazel, but I'm glad it's all finally come together. Although your garden and all its wildlife is wonderful I don't know how you and Mike have managed to maintain it. I think you are making the move at the right time while you are both fit and healthy. A busy time ahead for you though so I hope you can still enjoy your trip to LM.
    Come next spring and summer I can just imagine you sitting on balcony perhaps sipping something cool and sparkling and thinking life is good. LOL