RSPB purchases an extension of wetland habitat next to Marshside :)

Just read this news on Birdguides website and comforting to see that some of our membership money has helped to purchase Crossens Inner Marsh :)    good news for our NW area.

• That is brilliant news! It is always great to hear where membership money is being put in to gain new reserve areas, because, although it is also wonderful to hear of the conservation, it is also really good that they are gaining new areas to do conservation in!!
  • I just wish North East England in counties such as Northumberland, County Durham and Tyne and Wear would get some RSPB reserves as apart from Coquet Island, despite it being a very important RSPB reserve, no landing is allowed and I’ve got to go down to the county of Cleveland to visit my nearest RSPB of Saltholme which is not a regular thing for me, as I’ve got to use public transport to visit Saltholme from Newcastle. I’ve seen County after County regularly getting new RSPB reserves since the early 1970’s and no new RSPB reseves near to where I live and I’ve been an RSPB member since the early 1970’s and now a life member of the RSPB and I’m getting older into my 60’s and I’ve got the feeling that I’ll never see an RSPB reserve close to where I live in my lifetime and that does sadden me.
  • Well spotted Hazy. When I was trying to see exactly which bit it is, I found the news is also on this site, as a blog in "places to visit/Marshiside" and includes a map.
    I always walk around there when I visit and didn't realise it wasn't already part of the reserve. Still, good to know it now has proper protection.