Starling nest in loft and large crack now.in my ceiling

Hi all.

So I've had a starling nest in my loft for years sometimes they stay all year other times come back for spring.

Over the last couple of years there's been a small crack in between the ceiling and the wall.

It's now alot worse! The plasterboard is damaged and bits.of the nest are coming through. My 20.month old is sleeping below it and I'm very worried.

I love my wdlife but this is scaring me and I need to get.it removed urgently.

Any positive suggestions?

As you can appreciate my sons safety the most important thing here. 

Many thanks

• Was told I wasn't allowed to move it as they were there all year round..

I'm not cruel and didn't think they'd cause damage.
  • Pest control came a couple of years ago and said they couldn't touch them as a batch of eggs were in there (August time).

This could be true too re damage.

In the nicest way hopefully they'll go soon and I can block the hole and remove.

Thank you for your advice.
  • Ah I see. Typical. Never mind. Thanks again.
  • As a temporary job I'd stuff a load of filler in the hole (from below) or if it's too big get a small square of polythene & stick it with masking tape to stop the bits coming through as you wouldn't want any mites that live in the nest coming through into your childs bedroom. Once they've finished nesting I'd say you need to speak to a builder as it won't be the birds causing the wall & ceiling to move apart.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• You could even just use a wide band of masking tape & stick it over the crack, it won't be the first time I've done quick repairs like that! Good luck!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Thank you I've got some tape. xx
  • Starling eggs in August sounds dubious. Nest deserted months earlier I suspect. As mentioned earlier in the post, starlings can have two broods (though I have never experienced that). They definitely aren't there all year though.
  • Thank you. Ive put some tape.over the cracks and hoovered the area .
  • In reply to AmyStsrling:

I think the tape suggestion is the most sensible temporary solution and get it fixed permenantly as soon as poss when the nesting is over.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can