FLEDGLING

Hi

i have a fledgling stuck on my balcony for over 24 hours...it has it’s feathers and can fly a few inches into the air, it’s mummy is still tending to it so I haven’t intervened....my question is how long does it usually take for them to gain strength and fly and how long before I should worry....I don’t want it ending up in my yard as I have a cat that can still catch with TWO bells on Rage

i live in Kuwait but it looks like our sparrow type (no clue about birds)...

thankyou in advance

• Hi Katie,
    As a parent is still feeding it I would leave well alone. How did it get on your balcony? Presumably it must have flown in from somewhere or was there a nest on your balcony or nearby. I guess it will go when its ready assuming it's not sick or injured. If it's in a hot location a small dish of water might be a good idea.
    House Sparrows do occur in Kuwait along with a couple of other similar species.
  • Hi Tony....thankyou for the reply
    Thankyou for clearing that up...I thought it was a sparrow but didn’t want to look silly See no evil
    Yes I knew to leave it alone....I have a few nests on the roof...I assume it has come from one of those...I don’t go near them but regularly fill a tub of water up there since we moved in and I found them....I did put a small amount of water out there for it...my balcony is solid so it does have shade and the weather isn’t too bad at the moment...I will just keep checking on it...it doesn’t appear to be injured...thankyou again Grin