A day at Leighton Moss

Seeing it was going to be a nice day thought I would pop up and have a look what was going on, and it was a very nice sunny day, a little chilly in the morning but nice in the afternoon.

Green Winged Teal sadly on the other side of the pond.

Avocets.

Black Headed Gulls.

Oyster Catcher

Cetti's warbler, had to manual focus on this.

Chiffchaff.

Dunnock.

Tree Creeper.

Shoveler Female

Teal Male.

Not sure.

Robin.

Marsh Tit

• Superb set of images, Jim. Your 5Dmk4 and the Sigma lens are working well.
    Love the Avocet photos in particular - such beautiful birds. The Cetti's are so infuriating aren't they - camera shy or what!!
  • Cracking set, Jim. Love the one with with nesting material, I haven't seen a not sure for ages, (they come in a huge variety of colours and sizes).!!  :-)

• Lovely set Jim and glad you saw plenty of nice species including the elusive Cetti's warbler. Avocets are wonderful looking waders - the Audrey Hepburn/Coco Chanel of birds ! wondering if your bird with nesting material is another Chiffchaff ? Well done with the Green-winged teal, you can clearly see that vertical white stripe.
  • @ Tony, Thank you, but I am not happy with the Sigma most of the above were taken with the Canon 100x400mm so will be getting rid of it.

Thanks Alan.

Thanks Paul, there is a lot going on at the moment with them all building nests so will be going up again for a day if we get any :)

Thanks Hazel, It could be another Chiffchaff there are a lot about at the moment and this one was building its nest not to far from the path just needed that one clear shot, and it was nice to see the Cetti's warbler even if it was not in the open. Sadly the Green winged teal did not come closer but its being seen a lot from Alan hide.
  • You're getting to be even more of a regular than Hazy!
    Still looks like there is plenty around, even if many of the ducks are disappearing now … and they all seem to have something on their mind.
    I would have Chiffchaff for the 'not sure', too.
    Well done on getting the Cetti's. I keep looking locally, as we have a few regularly calling, but they aren't just camera shy, they are everything shy! I'm determined to get one again though.
    Are you looking to replace the Sigma or just use the Canon 100-400 - do you use the latter with a 1.4 converter sometimes? I know some people who do.
  • I have been gong longer then Hazel Nige, me and my late wife Sandra, just went to see the birds and I did not even have a camera then just binos.
    There is still a lot about but there is more to come yet and like you say they all do have something on their minds :)
    I will be getting rid of the Sigma and yes the x1.4 is on the Canon 100-400mm most of the time when we have good light but when we go through the trees I take it off because I can crop heavy if need be on the 5DMk4
  • Not sure what this Solitary Bee is.

Gadwall.

Shoveler.

Teal.

Teal.

Gadwall.

• Some very nice sunny ducks.
    Not sure but your solitary bee might be a male Tawny Mining Bee covered in pollen - they are a bit less colourful than the females.
  • Thanks Nige, I think you might be right with a male Tawny Mining Bee.