Spring changes at RSPB South Stack

Following the previous threads around the changes at RSPB South Stack, here is the latest which can be viewed via the RSPB Community Blogs, viewable by clicking on the link.

Spring changes at RSPB South Stack

https://community.rspb.org.uk/placestovisit/southstackcliffs/b/southstackcliffs-blog/posts/spring-changes-at-rspb-south-stack

• Thank you for the link. Fundamentally we are in the same place. One improvement to note is that the RSPB will no longer charge Blue Badge holders to park at any pay & display site, reversing their policy on this matter, this brings them in line with organisations like the National Trust. It's been a year since the planning permission for pay & display machines was first sought. I would ask any RSPB members who feel that campaigners against this charge are just complaining over nothing to do some research. 6,600 people signed a petition against the charges, not small fry for a little island on the north western fringes of Wales. Publicity was not only achieved on ITV Wales, BBC Wales and local papers but also in The Guardian and The 'i' Newspaper. Please just show some empathy for the community. Understand that RSPB are not the only stakeholders present at this site and other jobs are at risk. A cup of tea at the RSPB café will now cost £4 in the 7.5 month peak season. If you add on some lunch and linger over an hour, your £2 parking charge will increase to £5. Plenty of cafes in beautiful, iconic settings where parking is free or fairly priced. Yes, we have met with the RSPB many times to talk but they are not set to receive. A flagship site where the public have been alienated, well done, da iawn RSPB.

• Two hours is probably not long enough to go down to the lighthouse (which is run by a local non profit, volunteered community. This may leave a lot of people not going down to the lighthouse on the grounds of not paying twice.
    I disagree on rspb introducing car parking charges as the land was left to the people and not to a "charity" that is a rich organisation due to all donations made by the very people it now wants to charge.
  • Snowdropginger said:

Thank you for the link. Fundamentally we are in the same place. One improvement to note is that the RSPB will no longer charge Blue Badge holders to park at any pay & display site, reversing their policy on this matter, this brings them in line with organisations like the National Trust. It's been a year since the planning permission for pay & display machines was first sought. I would ask any RSPB members who feel that campaigners against this charge are just complaining over nothing to do some research. 6,600 people signed a petition against the charges, not small fry for a little island on the north western fringes of Wales. Publicity was not only achieved on ITV Wales, BBC Wales and local papers but also in The Guardian and The 'i' Newspaper. Please just show some empathy for the community. Understand that RSPB are not the only stakeholders present at this site and other jobs are at risk. A cup of tea at the RSPB café will now cost £4 in the 7.5 month peak season. If you add on some lunch and linger over an hour, your £2 parking charge will increase to £5. Plenty of cafes in beautiful, iconic settings where parking is free or fairly priced. Yes, we have met with the RSPB many times to talk but they are not set to receive. A flagship site where the public have been alienated, well done, da iawn RSPB.

I'm not sure who owns what today, it used to be called South Stack Country Park, or something like that. My thoughts are either Holyhead or Anglesey Council used to have some ownership, but I'm very out of touch on that one.

It is good in that RSPB members will not have to pay, that is inline with other RSPB places and the National Trust, however, how they intend to differentiate between members and non-members I'm not sure on. The NT use two methods, one a car window sticker and the other a barcode on the membership card which you scan at the ticket machine.

I can understand the business requirements, but I'm not so sure the locals will benefit if the lane, which is virtually single track a lot of the way, becomes clogged with parked cars avoiding the parking charge.

It's bad enough when the car parks (there is more than one) are full and they overspill on to the lane!

• Mary OBrien said:

Two hours is probably not long enough to go down to the lighthouse (which is run by a local non profit, volunteered community. This may leave a lot of people not going down to the lighthouse on the grounds of not paying twice.
    I disagree on rspb introducing car parking charges as the land was left to the people and not to a "charity" that is a rich organisation due to all donations made by the very people it now wants to charge.

While I share your sentiments, it is the sad way things have gone today.
    Two hours will definitely not be enough if you're visiting the lighthouse, I know, I've walked down and back after a tour of the lighthouse inside, and back then, I was fit and able (ex mountaineer, hence the name Peak Rambler), but had a young family.
    Perhaps as I'm getting closer to pension age, I'm becoming too cynical today, but the way I see things it's all about how can we grab the money, and the effects of that cascade down the hillside.