Hoping to see a very rare nesting bird in Outer Hebrides even rarer that the Corncrake on my RSPB Groups birdwatching holiday in May

I'm hoping to see a very rare nesting bird in the Outer Hebrides in May on my RSPB Local Groups 7 day birdwatching holiday in May and I think it’s an even rarer nesting species than the Corncrake( apologies if I’m wrong) and that is the Red Necked Phalarope with only 22 nesting pairs in the UK and the nesting pairs are only found in a few areas in Northern Scotland and a very quiet RSPB reserve on the Island of Lewis called Loch na Muilne which is one of the few areas where that rare bird nests in Northern Scotland. Hope I’m lucky enough to see that rare UK nesting bird. My RSPB Group will also be visiting North Uist and the RSPB reserve Balranald in the hope of seeing the Corncrake and of course other areas as well over the week in on the Outer Hebrides as well as non RSPB birdwatching areas as well. I’m really looking forward to my birdwatching holiday to the Outer Hebrides.

• Good luck with your trip. I hope you see plenty after going that distance.
  • Ian, this is what you will be looking for.

Female Red-necked Phalarope.

Male

As you can see the male has much more subdued colours. This is because it's the male that looks after the nest and raises the young so he needs to be less conspicuous. A role reversal from the normal state of affairs. They are quite small birds - about the size of a Song Thrush - but they can be very confiding. In Iceland where my photos were taken they seem totally unafraid by the presence of humans.

Corncrakes on the other hand are masters of concealment. When you hear their harsh "crek crek" call they sound as though they are only a few metres away but seeing them is another ball game.

The Outer Hebrides are a magical place. I've only stayed on Barra and have only made a brief visit to to the Uists. I've never been to Lewis and Harris. Be prepared for all four seasons in one day. I'm  sure you will have a great time. It's a pity you don't take photos.

• Hope you are lucky, enjoy your trip.