Feeding Station Questions

Morning all,

I have recently joined the RSPB and the brilliant RSPB community. I have a young family, so my two young boys (4 and 7) are loving their new learning experiences.

I have set-up a feeding station/ table in my garden to attract more birds to the garden. We had extensive building work and garden work done last year, so completely put any wildlife off, and so are starting from scratch this year. As you can see we do not have a very mature garden, with no trees and very little cover. Shrubs have been planted but are small.

The feeder has been stocked and looked after for about 4 weeks now. So far I am attracting a very frequent Blackbird pair with the male seeming to be very territorial over the feeder, standing up to and clearing off Robins and Pigeons. Other visitors include Wood Pigeons, starlings, a Robin, a very infrequent Blue Tit, a Dunnock pair (I think it is, they prefer to ground feed).

My questions are focused on, am I doing this right?

• Does the location/ cover seem adequate? I'm concerned we will be limited due to the close fence and lack of cover.
  • Do I have a good variety of feed covered? Is there anything else I can be doing to help our feathered friends?

Thank you,

Martin

• Thank you for the fast response Alan, much appreciated,

Good shout regarding the trellis, to the left of the table we have a more established honeysuckle which dies right back in the winter, providing little to no cover, however the birds like it in the summer. To the right we have a climbing fusia and some red stemmed dogwood - which are newly planted.

My project this spring is to plant more mature established shrubs and berry bearing plants that provide colour and cover over the winter, currently all my plants die back quite dramatically! Great in summer, poor in winter!

I will certainly add sunflower hearts to my basket, thanks! Nothing seems to be touching the fatballs currently!

Regards,

Martin
  • Good idea, I may try that when the wife is out as she'll go mad at me!
  • Hello Martin and welcome from me too.     Looks like you have good selection of food treats for the birds and as Alan says sunflower hearts are very popular with most birds  (I don't use Niger seed);    just be aware that once March arrives it is best not to put out whole peanuts as offspring from early nesting birds could choke on them;  the peanut kibbles you put out are fine to use.    I would ensure your lovely bird table is sufficiently far enough away from the fenceline so predators can't leap from the fence.       If you want to feed smaller birds and keep the woodpigeons and other larger birds off the food then a ground feeder guardian cage is helpful;. there are adjustable sliders to narrow the mesh size;     they are a bit expensive but worth it in the long term as they save you a fortune on bird food;    I use a heavy duty piece of pond butyl liner (cut to cover just the pitched roof) to drape over the roof to protect the food on rainy days;  I bring the ground tray in each night to prevent any wouldbe vermin finding the food.  Feeders/perches/trays are wiped down at the beginning of each day and cleaned throughly (dismantled) every fortnight.      Robins will normally go into the caged area but Dunnocks are a little more wary so I sprinkle a few live mealworms on the ground for them hoping the blackbirds leave some for them !     The most popular foods I find are sunflower hearts, berry suet pellets and the homemade pastry that Alan mentioned.     A few quick growing shrubs and trellis cover will help birds with some protection cover.      Good luck and happy birdwatching.  

• Hi Hazy, thank you for your very helpful comments and suggestions, your time taken to help me is very much appreciated.

It seems sunflower hearts are a must. The peanuts I have purchased are whole, however I bag them and smash them into small pieces before putting out.

The bird table is about 6 inches from the fence line, unfortunately it is the only place we can put it without taking the kids playing space. The ground feeder cage is one heck of a contraption, wow - this is amazing!

Thank you again!
  • Hello Martin, welcome from me up in Caithness and the very top of Scotland. I can't add much as you have already had many suggestions and ideas. Sunflower hearts are a must, they love them and the home made pastry. Shops own flour and fat (half the fat to flour) mixed with a splash of water and add anything really, seed, suet, grated cheese, broken peanuts, fruits. Keep for a few hours and shape to fill any kind of feeders or just pull pieces off and squeeze around any branches, they love it. Good luck.
  • Having the feeder next to the fence is not necessarily a problem providing there is cover. I have had feeders hanging from brackets on the fence posts, but the fence was cat-proofed with strips of plastic spikes on top so the cats couldn't get near and specifically they couldn't get above the feeders. The birds were quite happy to use this set up and even taunted the cats staring forlornly up at them from the ground!