Young Feral Pidges With Varied Tastes in Reading Material

I have been looking after these two youngsters for a week. Their nest was above a café terrace in Kingston and the owner wanted to remove it. I told him I would install bird proofing spikes for free if he allowed me to safely remove the youngsters after they had been allowed to grow. This was about three weeks ago, when they were still squabs. Violet and Wilbur have now gone to Starlight Trust. When they arrived here, I had to syringe feed them every three hours, which meant taking them to work each day. After a few days I got them eating seed and they have now progressed to the point where they are able to fly around the front room when I release them for exercise each morning. They chose to land on the Nature's Voice magazine and then moved on to check out the Led Zeppelin books. Hopefully they will be back in a few weeks time for me to release into the wild.

• Good to know the story behind these images I came across on Twitter just now! Another successful rescue, well done Paul ... btw, who is Steve?
  • I was wondering what had happened to you recently … busy taking care of youngsters by the sounds of it!
    I seem to recall from QI that pigeons see much faster than us, so that TV would appear in slow motion to them. I wonder if that means they are excellent speed readers, too??? They might have already read everything on your bookcase!
  • I have been naming them in alphabetical order since the first rescue on January 1st. I have already reached the letter 'W' so that gives you an idea of how many Pidges need our help. I also have a pre-release aviary in the garden and that takes up more of my time. I have the Peregrines at work to keep an eye on and the HTR's in the garden, but I have little time to go birding. That will have to wait until LM at the end of June.
    Violet and Wilbur are now with Starlight Trust, but they have been singing Stairway To Heaven lol
  • Good to hear about Violet, Wilbur and also Steve. It goes to show indeed just how much help is needed on rescuing the pigeons. Well done you and the Starlight Trust, once again.
  • Good to see you back and can understand why you don't have much free time MC. Glad to know the HTR's are still in your garden and hope you get a chance to put up some photos once more this year. Good luck to Violet and Wilbur and well done on all your successful rescues this year.
  • Good to see these two are keeping up their studies with books and music lol You've certainly been kept busy with helping out all the pidges so very well done Paul and good that you had time to post an update, not the same on here without your contributions.