Starting my photography journey - very slowly!

• I see someone has shared the Getting off auto link.

Photography is as wonderful a hobby as watching the birds and other wildlife.

Photography generally is about light and composition. After a while, you'll start to see things how the camera does and not how you perceive the subject to be. That way, you'll appreciate the tinges in photos that you didn't see.

With photography today being digital, the opportunity to experiment and learn is easy, unlike the days of film, where cost was a big stumbling block for many, plus the wait for the photos to come back from the developers.

A notebook can be handy to note the camera settings, though most modern computers today when using File Manager will allow you to see what the settings each photo you took were used.

Enjoy your new camera, even those of us who have been taking photos for years struggle to get all the photos perfect, and we're happy to share our amusing but awful photos in the "Bad pics of fab wildlife" thread.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/chat/f/the-tea-rooms/113733/bad-pics-of-fab-wildlife---part-2

We look forward to seeing you photos, and don't despair on the dull days, nature is still very busy when you think it should be hiding away from the elements.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• I am getting along nicely now - with help from this forum, plus a course and family/friends.

I was pleased to snap this little fellow through a window, at a distance of 20 feet. I like the contrast with the honeysuckle berries...

It was annoying that 2 long tailed tits and a goldfinch visited this morning, when they were nowhere to be seen on Garden Birdwatch weekend! They must have had a problem with their diaries - or maybe too much in demand from other folk?!

Karen B Suffolk
  • In reply to Karen B Suffolk:

Nice photo Karen, and as you say, nice contrast with the honeysuckle berries.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Thanks, Mike. I probably had the camera on some sort of auto setting... a confession, there!
    Karen
    Karen B Suffolk

Sorry for not replying back Karen, I have been missing a lot of post but the site is looking better now and I have a new computer to work with so things are a lot faster and glad you found the tip handy.

Jim

My Pictures

Looking good Karen.

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to James:

I agree with Mike and James that's a nice shot Karen especially through the window.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Thanks, Alan. It was very good of the blue tit to sit long enough before it departed!
    Karen B Suffolk
  • I am quite proud of this little egret photo - it's not been cropped! I sat in the East Hide at Lackford Lakes last Friday afternoon, and this egret came up so close, and stood so still for me - it was a gift! I like the contrast of the feathers with the reeds and debris in the water. Somehow he (or she!) looks a bit supercilious!

Karen B Suffolk