HTR's 2019 Update 20th August

First pic of New Garden Robin (top right) and Mrs HTR. I saw her today for the first time. She didn't waste any time flying down for some mealies. NGR wasn't sure how to react to her and continued singing from various trees and fences. He eventually flew across to see who she was and took a higher branch in order to posture. Mrs HTR was not impressed.

• Such a good start MC & you did well to capture the both in same pic given all the branches in your way!

• Hopefully Mrs HTR will show the new male Robin that I am a provider of mealies and waxworms. He's still very skittish and keeps his distance. Mrs HTR was straight down to the wall for mealies. I hope she doesn't try to nest in my neighbour's conservatory again. That was a real rollercoaster ride. I wonder where they all went. I didn't see any juvenile Robins in the garden after the initial fledging and there were 6 of them.

• Fingers crossed that things work out for Mrs HTR and the newby, MC.  We have 2 Robins in the garden as well, but I'm not sure if each one has worked out just who the other Robin is yet.

• Nice to see two robins in your garden but NGR needs to stop posturing and start bringing Mrs HTR a bouquet of mealworms  lol   

• Mrs HTR has been in the garden quite a bit today. I have supplied her with waxies and mealies. 'HTR' has been singing loudly from the holly tree and has not reacted to her presence.

• Nice photo of Mrs HTR,  it's all looking good for springtime !

• Very nice paul I was not sure what this Robin was doing at LM yesterday, if it was a warning to another Robin or displaying to a female because they were three in the same area.

NGR needs to stop posturing

And Hazel, has givin me the answer.

Sadly I can't upload a picture?

• A very busy couple of days for the HTR's and other Robins in the garden. Yesterday started with sadness. I found the body of a dead Robin near the laurel bush and feared it was Mrs HTR. 'New' HTR was singing in the holly tree and he stopped as I picked up the dead bird. I then saw Mrs HTR land on the low wall next to me. While I was sad to be holding the lifeless body of a Robin, I was also relieved that neither of my resident Robins was the victim. I gave the Robin a fitting burial.

This morning, as I was cleaning out the aviary, I heard 'New' HTR singing loudly in the ceanothus. That is not a typical singing spot for him and that got my attention. I left the Pidges for a few minutes and went to investigate. As I was photographing him, I heard another Robin replying to his song. This Robin was very near to the garden, far closer than I would expect. I stood on the garden bench and saw a Robin perched on the school playground fence. I was shooting into the sun and wanted a better angle. The question was, would this Robin allow me to get around to the other side of him? As it turned out, he did. In fact, he allowed me to stand directly beneath him with the camera. He then flew down to the ground a few feet away from me and ate some mealies. He then returned to the fence for more song. I believe this might well be 'The' HTR from last year. The sing-off continued for several hours. 'New' HTR was much quieter and was also tucked away at the bottom of the holly tree for much of the time. Original HTR eventually came into the garden and took a perch in the ceanothus and directed his song at the holly tree. While he was doing this, Mrs HTR was coming to me for mealies. She still won't had feed, but comes out of the laurel each time she sees me. She took no notice of the two males. Original HTR spotted her and was looking down at her as he sang. The last thing I saw was both males in the tree at the end of the garden two doors down. They were chasing around the tree and twittering at one another. I did not see who 'won'. More shenanigans to follow throughout the week.

Mrs HTR

Some of the singing took place directly above her

'New' HTR in the ceanothus

His rival was initially just a silhouette

He was considerate enough to allow me to walk past him and get some nice close ups

He even came down for some mealies

It looks like he's singing. He isn't. He's swallowing the mealie.

Finally, he came into the garden and very close to his rival

Back to the fence

I also have some short video clips. I will go through them to see if there's anything worth adding.

• Wonderful photos, Paul.  I can just imagine how very relieved you were to find that your current residents are still with us.  Do you think that the dead Robin was killed by the resident male Robin?  Or flew into a window?  Or...?  Fingers crossed that the two current rival males settle their contest without damage to either!