Northern Lights, Iceland

We have just had a week in Iceland and were lucky with our first hunt for the Northern Lights on Sunday 9 December. It was too cloudy and wet any other night for any success.

Cheers,
Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Not a bit jealous, honest! Great photos

• I was lucky enough to see  Chris Packham and Makaela Strachan's program Under the Christmas Sky the other nigh and the Northern Lights sights on there were pretty amazing but even with the experts they had on hand the weather is a great decider.

• Just beautiful Bob, the sky is huge and you seem to have the stars to close you could almost touch them.   We were lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights years ago on a very clear night, right here on our doorstop, nothing as good as your views though.

• Fabulous photos Bob, and a sight I'd love to see, though I doubt I ever will.

• A spectacular sight. Glad you had one clear night. Where were you staying  - up in the north of Iceland? Did you see any of the other famous places while you were there eg Gulfoss Falls, Geysir?

No we just stayed in Reykjavik - it was almost a late decision to go based on a few personal factors and , unusually for us, it was a package holiday which included a couple of excursions. Yes we went to Gulfoss, Geysir and the e area where the American and European tectonic plates meet on a Golden circle tour. We also did a south coast tour covering the black beaches as far as Vik and then the two waterfalls at Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss and and evening at the Blue Lagoon. We also did all the cultural stuff that Reykjavik has to offer, including their open air museum, a sort of rural Beamish. The lights are an interesting phenomenum - everyone goes to see them because of the fantastic photographs but then you discover that they really aren't like that at all. I'm sure that there are much better displays than we saw but its the distainct lack of any vibrant colour that makes them so intriguing. Each of these pictures was the result of a 10 second exposure and even then they had to be lightened a touch to bring out the best view. Yes you can see the flickering and curtains with the naked eye but very little sign of the colours. I think my wife was a little under awed  at times until she saw the photographs afterwards - I could at least get an appreciation on the camera LCD screen. There will be more pictures to come of the waterfalls etc as they were pretty amazing in spite of the gloom. 

• A spectacular sight. Glad you had one clear night. Where were you staying  - up in the north of Iceland? Did you see any of the other famous places while you were there eg Gulfoss Falls, Geysir?

• Great pictures Bob,I have been lucky enough to see the Northern Lights from hill tops in Scotland and on a  couple of occasions from our local hills but never as clear as these sightings of yours

• They sure make some beautiful sights Bob, we are very lucky up here in the far north. On clear nights, if everything is right we can see them. Not on the scale that you have shown us, but we can make out colours and images.

• Stunning shots Bob looks like you had a great time.