Jackdaws going nuts !!

Among the varied bird life that calls our little estate of apartments home there is a group of about 12 Jackdaws we have christened the "heavy gang". In the last week or so they have started something new. Just down the road is a magnificent Sweet Chestnut tree which  like a lot of trees this year is producing some great nuts. Our local Jackdaws seem to relish the taste of them but they were struggling to get the shells open but now they have discovered they do not need nut crackers. They now fly up onto the roof with the nuts and bang away on the slates until they split the outer shell. Unfortunately in this case we are in the top flat of our little block and their favourite working area is above our bedroom. I do not begrudge the birds nuts for breakfast but I'm not sure we really appreciate their early start. They seem to start work as soon as the skies start to lighten,Thang goodness daylight is getting later day by day I just wonder if the Jackdaws do room service,I'm sure Chris and myself could manage tea and toast while the Jackdaws keep bashing at the slates. I does show how Corvids work their way round problems especially if food is involved,just keep the noise down guys.

• lol Pete,   those dash clever corvids always find a way round, as you say,  if there is food involved but sorry to hear they are using your roof tiles as a nut cracker and hope they don't do any other damage other than to your ear-drums and sleep loss !     Hopefully the nuts will be consumed very quickly once this cold snap arrives and hence you will get some peace and quiet in the wee small hours. 

Our beech tree is in full mast although the wood pigeons and squirrels are consuming those at a vast rate of knots but we do end up with all the empty husks on the ground and in the pond.     We have sweet chestnut trees in the local deer park where the various animals including deer will feast away on them;    look on the bright side - you could have rudolph on your roof two months early  LOL        Seriously though, having your sleep disturbed is no joking manner and hopefully with the clocks changing this weekend at least you will get an additional hour before the nut-cracking starts.     Good luck and lets hope the nuts are coming to the end of the season.   

• Very clever birds are corvids.

• Unknown said:
      Seriously though, having your sleep disturbed is no joking manner and hopefully with the clocks changing this weekend at least you will get an additional hour before the nut-cracking starts.     Good luck and lets hope the nuts are coming to the end of the season.   

As the mornings stay darker a little longer now it is not so bad as I need to start some of my meds in decent time so by the time this is done we are sitting up with a cup of tea and reading. We just like the excuse to moan about noisy Corvids !!