LOCAL TWITCH

We have not got a lot of serious birding done recently usually due to my health problems but even after a poor night  Chris decided the weather here in N.Yorkshire was too good to waste so after an early lunch it was up the road to our local reserve. One of the first birds we spotted at the first viewpoint was a beautiful Black Tern on its autumn migration probably heading for West Africa. Also on view from here were several hundred Golden Plover and the sight of there flying en masse in the sun after being flushed by a fox on the shore line was great with the sun catching their golden plumage. We had a  bit of a walk round near some old silt pools it was nice to see 20 or so Gadwall,a much under rated that seems to be spreading well on this reserve.We also managed to find a small number of Pinkfoots here,we never get them in big numbers even though they do fly over in big numbers probably heading for Tees side. So well worth moving myself for and to be walking around in the sun in mid October feels pretty good to me,hope our luck holds out for a family holiday to Northumberland at the end of the month, fingers crossed folks.

• Great to hear you had such a good day on your local patch; as you say Pete, this mid October sun is just the job to bring out the birds and as a health benefit for us too getting outdoors to enjoy the fresh air and such lovely scenes.  The G.Plovers sounded wonderful - what a sight that must have been in their hundreds.   I love the Gadwall too, saw quite a lot at L.Moss this week and skeins of Pink-feet over too.     There were reports of 3 spoonbill flying over the reserve 4 days ago, something mentioned about them possibly heading Arnside area so wasn't sure where they ended up.       Enjoy your family holiday in a couple of weeks.  

• Its nice to get out and about Pete, and you had some good sightings its been quite nice here at LM today and yesterday was very nice had to take clothes off but it did start to get chilly later in the day.

• James G said:
    its been quite nice here at LM today and yesterday was very nice had to take clothes off but it did start to get chilly later in the day.

so wasn't only the Cormorants that went around flashing then ?   ....... you weren't in the book of sightings Jim    LOL

• It's good that you managed to get out for a bit, Pete, as Hazel says, it's good for the system.

Unknown said:
    this mid October sun is just the job to bring out the birds and as a health benefit for us too getting outdoors to enjoy the fresh air and such lovely scenes.

If you live in Shetland your GP can now prescribe nature as part of your treatment. Not a bad idea at all in my opinion.

• Fantastic idea Paul and hope they roll it out across the whole of UK as there's no better medicine in my opinion for relaxation, fitness, aiding patients with mental health issues from depression and anxiety to helping overcome loneliness or grief, etc.,   and if often includes meeting some really lovely like-minded folk into the bargain.     Hand feeding robins and other willing birds can also be recommended so maybe GP's should have prescriptions to include bird food too !      I hand fed not only a dozen robins at Leighton Moss this week but also a Coal Tit and two Great Tits - it's a lovely way to start any day :)   

• Well done on making the effort to go out, Pete. The weather has been glorious this Autumn so I'm sure it did you good. Sounds like some good sightings. Golden Plovers are such beautiful birds and to see a flock of them glinting in the sunshine must have been thrilling.

I hope you stay fit enough to make the family holiday to Northumberland.

• Nothing quite like getting out and about if you can Pete, it can seem like an effort at times but it must be great to have the advantage of maybe seeing wildlife in abundance as you did.   The Plover must have been fabulous to watch.   Hope you continue to feel better and your family holiday later on also gets good weather and plenty of sightings.

• No I was hiding in the reeds Hazel :)

• James G said:

No I was hiding in the reeds Hazel :)

I’m no expert in these matters, Jim, but I would imagine that in these situations hiding in the soft grasses might be preferable to hiding in the reeds.!! :-)

• I would have but sadly no grasses on the reserve Paul, so it had to be the reeds :)