What does the possibility of a no deal with the EU mean for the future protection of wildlife and conservation laws in the UK?

I‘m very concerned for the ramifications for wildlife and conservation laws if the UK ends up with a no deal sinario. As I don’t understand if there will be any ramifications for the UK if this happens, does anyone have any idea if there will be any major problems with wildlife and conservation laws if we end up in the UK with a no deal?

• I hope this is not too political a topic and this is only my understanding and opinion.

Deal or no deal, the principle is on Day 1 we end up with a set of laws which are in essence the same as today, so from that perspective in the short term there is no difference.

Longer term, it very much depends who holds sway in Government. There are clearly some extremists whose intent is that there should be massive deregulation, in the guise of supposedly freeing business from red tape. In my experience, what is often described as red tape is in fact law that has been introduced in response to inappropriate behaviour in the first place. An example might be legislation that was introduced to protect the cockle pickers after the mass drowning might be represented as red tape stopping the proper exploitation of natural resources to support the British economy. However, bear in mind that Government has removed a lot of ability for resisting inappropriate development under planning law regardless of Brexit, so it probably is worth considering that there is already risk to conservation and wildlife measured against an ideal.

So I would suggest the risk is not so much deal or no deal, but recognising that in a Britain free of EU constraint, there is a possibility of extremists using deregulation as an excuse to remove constraints on the use of protected land for example, whereas within the EU there is a layer of regulation that would restrict UK law from allowing some of the more extreme "deregulation" from being allowed to impact on wildlife.

The other element which again is regardless of deal or no deal is that UK finances will be under strain, and funding for good works are quite likely to be hit, and EU funding in my view is unlikely to be replaced by a domestic fund given that financial strain.

So in summary, of course it is reasonable to be concerned and appropriate to use any reasonable means to ensure that your interests are properly represented and considered.