Elephant collapses and dies at Chester Zoo (via Daily Post Wales)

I know its a zoo, but its still very sad news, from probably one of Britain's most proactive zoos

Elephant collapses and dies at Chester Zoo

An elephant at Chester Zoo has suddenly died.

Asian elephant Sithami Hi Way unexpectedly collapsed on Friday and despite the best efforts of keepers and vets could not be saved.

Sithami was born at the zoo in 1997 and had given birth to several calves during her life with zoo bosses saying she had "left a lasting legacy".

A statement from the zoo said: "It is with a huge amount of sadness that we have to tell you about the death of one of our adult female elephants, Sithami Hi Way.

"Sithami, 20, unexpectedly collapsed inside the zoo’s Elephants of the Asian Forest habitat at around noon today (07/09/2018). Keepers and vets immediately attended to her but unfortunately she had very suddenly passed away."

Asian elephants usually live until the age of around 48-years-old.

A post-mortem examination is set to be carried out in the next few days to determine why Sithami died, the Chester Chronicle reports.

Chester Zoo have announced that one of their adult elephants Sithami Hi Way has died

The statement added: Sithami was born here at the zoo in 1997 and was extremely popular with staff, members and visitors alike. She had successfully given birth to several calves in her time, including female Sundara in 2004 and young male calf Aayu in January 2017, and has left a lasting legacy to an important breeding programme for the endangered species.

"Elephants are highly social animals so any loss will affect them for a short period. We have no doubt the Hi Way family herd will take over duties of care for Aayu and our dedicated team will, of course, closely monitor the rest of the herd, which remains in good health.

"Our thoughts are very much with all of those who cared for Sithami day in, day out and who are deeply shocked and devastated at her sudden loss."

https://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/adult-elephant-chester-zoo-dies-15126382

• That is sad news, I wonder what they will find when they do the pm. The young calf will feel the loss but hopefully the family will as they say take over parental duties.  

• gaynorsl said:

That is sad news, I wonder what they will find when they do the pm. The young calf will feel the loss but hopefully the family will as they say take over parental duties.  

Being a very social animal, the whole herd will be in mourning, so the whole herd will be under observation for a while to come.

I guess they would use it to check the herd are ok, and it isn't going to cause more problems, share the findings with other zoos and conservation organisations to further the health of other elephants wild and captive.