Flickr, apology and trying to catch up

Hi,

First apologies for my absence, with a short hospital visit followed a few days later by a good eight days with family in North Wales.

I've whittled down from the almost 800 photos taken (must learn to be a bit more conservative when using sport mode or multi shots to capture action shots....), down to 380 or so, with more yet to be weaned out.

However, it has been worth it, I've some interesting pics of juvenile gulls, most likely herring gulls, picking up stones from the lagoon beds and trying to fly off with them!

Well, we all know how teenagers put peer pressure on other teenagers, so I guess that was what happened there...

I also played around with monochrome photography, the sun was just right and with a circular polariser, got a couple of good shots.

Now for the Flickr apology part, I'll try not to inundate my followers with too many photos in each batch that I upload, but I did manage to visit RSPB South Stack and RSPB Conwy along with a few other favourite haunts.

Fabulous weather

Good photo opportunities

• Glad you are back and posting pics;   such beautiful scenery Mike and the weather this year was certainly good for getting out there with the camera as you have shown.   Look forward to more pics in due course.

• Unknown said:

Glad you are back and posting pics;   such beautiful scenery Mike and the weather this year was certainly good for getting out there with the camera as you have shown.   Look forward to more pics in due course.

Thank you, and good to be back.

The painful part has been sorting the photos out, looking for the imperfections to reduce the number down to a sensible level.

I forgot to add, I've a very short, poor quality video of a heron being heckled by a herring gull. My guess is there may be still some young, but only a guess.

• Unknown said:

Glad you are back and posting pics;   such beautiful scenery Mike and the weather this year was certainly good for getting out there with the camera as you have shown.   Look forward to more pics in due course.

Thank you Hazel, the first batch are now live in the August 2018 Album, and here's a taster...

As always when the sun shines, the colourful lapwing

Black Tailed Godwit, unless I'm mistaken, which is very likely. ;)

• Michael B said:
    I also played around with monochrome photography

It does make a nice change every now and again, doesn't it. I did a few B&W land/skyscapes myself recently for the first time in ages.

• Lovely thread Mike -hope you are well and enjoyed your visit to Wales. Lovely scenic shots,I love the Lapwing striding along,and the beautiful colours on the Godwits. I know what you mean about the gulls -I have seen them picking all sorts of things up down here!

I wondered about your flickr account too,I presumed you had enabled it so people could not comment to cut down on the amount of responses,so your photos I would have commented on I gave a "like"

Jayne  

• Unknown said:

I also played around with monochrome photography

It does make a nice change every now and again, doesn't it. I did a few B&W land/skyscapes myself recently for the first time in ages.

[/quote]

It certainly does.

There's one small problem, remembering to reset the camera once you've taken your monochrome snaps! :D

• Unknown said:

Lovely thread Mike -hope you are well and enjoyed your visit to Wales. Lovely scenic shots,I love the Lapwing striding along,and the beautiful colours on the Godwits. I know what you mean about the gulls -I have seen them picking all sorts of things up down here!

I wondered about your flickr account too,I presumed you had enabled it so people could not comment to cut down on the amount of responses,so your photos I would have commented on I gave a "like"

Jayne  

Thank you Jayne.

It was as always, a great time away catching up with family, and visiting the reserves at Conwy and South Stack

I hadn't realised what effect the changes had, so I was oblivious to the comments being blocked.

Still, all now rectified. :))

• I have only just come across your post Mike and I will have to try a few B/W shots seeing I started off with film in days gone past and monochrome pictures do look nice, I will also go and have a look at your Flickr page.

• James G said:

I have only just come across your post Mike and I will have to try a few B/W shots seeing I started off with film in days gone past and monochrome pictures do look nice, I will also go and have a look at your Flickr page.

James, give it a try, you've nothing to lose, especially with digital photography.

The photo below was taken back in July, on a hot and sunny day at Baddesley Clinton, using a circular polarising filter

Chesterton Windmill, near Warwick

Hatton Locks near Warwick