another year....same results

• In reply to Robbo:

I should have said there are at least 3 young in nest 3. I can also add that the sparrows have finally gone quiet over the last 3 or 4 days. That should be it now from them til next Spring re breeding. What a good year they had!

• In reply to Robbo:

Good to hear nest 2 fledged;  as you say the nest entrance to No.3 does look to have enlarged somewhat so lets hope within a week they have fledged too.   Pity the weather changed so dramatically and although we need the rain, the strong winds are so destructive and challenging for the nesting birds and fledglings.  Thanks for the update Rob, fingers crossed that side entrance doesn't get any larger.     Glad the Sparrows have eased off their activity,  maybe the adults are now moulting and staying more hidden.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Good to know some of the Martins have fledged Robbo, and though there is the enlarged hole in the nest 3 let's hope they will get the chance of fledging too while those sparrows are easing off the breeding, mind you I saw one male sparrow filling it's beak to feed it's young today so they are still at it here.  

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

Nest 3 youngsters have started leaving the nest. One ended up coming in a barely open window. 3 successful nests, 2 currently being fed (should start seeing faces of one of them any time now....it's the nest with no obvious entrance though!) and 1 should be hatching about now in nest one. Second brood or new pair reusing the nest.

• In reply to Robbo:

just seen the new lodger on the other thread lol    

Good to hear that more HM's are fledging and better results this year.   Good luck for the others and safe journey for them all when the time comes.

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to Robbo:

The change in weather seems to have slowed up fledging, but nest four is getting closer (the one with no obvious entrance and newly hatched dead chick underneath). At least two youngsters looking out. Nest five is a few more days behind but should be only a week or so away from fledging. Nest one is feeding again so as things stand, it's again possible to have six successful nests this season.

• In reply to Robbo:

Good to know two other youngsters still in nest 4 appear ok despite the casualty and hopefully nest 5 will fledge within a week or so;  after the problems in recent years it's good to know that this has been a much more successful breeding season for the HM's with 6 nests this year so well done Rob with the changes/adjustments you made and I hope the remaining chicks make it safely onwards so they can return next season.    Thanks for the updates, it's been good to follow this more successful year.  

post edit:   been pouring down most of the day here in Cheshire and a lot cooler now.

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Nice and sunny now. Rained from when I woke up (5am) til gone midday, so the pond is full. Not sure the chicks got fed much, but looks like they've been catching up the last couple of hours.

• In reply to Robbo:

Good news Robbo, didn't think you would get as many successful nests earlier on this year.   Well done with persevering and evidently helping the HM's nesting year.

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

Final update. Nest 1's second brood successfully fledged a few weeks ago, so six nests in total. As in all previous years, there were no third attempts, and only one nest had two goes. Not sure where the science is from that states two broods are typical and sometimes three. After appearing to have left the area, I was pleasantly surprised to see a flock of over 100 house martins this morning in the sunshine. About 30 were flying around the house.