another year....same results

• In reply to Robbo:

There was limited activity from the parents. One is clearly staying in the nest cup and the other did visit twice in about twenty mins. Not sure if a sparrow made it in, but there is a bit more mud down(some can be seen in the photo), and access looks slightly more viable for sparrows now. However, I did see a female drop off the guttering and attempt to hover towards the nest and gave up. As nest four is at this stage, I'll have to go up the ladder again!

• In reply to Robbo:

wow, those sparrows don't give up easily - looks like your ladders will have to be on permanent standby Rob.    

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

Blast it, so near and yet.....  

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

Got home later than hoped, and too tired to mess about with a fully extended ladder. Back at work tomorrow, so I am leaning towards doing nothing for now. I have seen an adult still in nest four and its mate is still bringing food back a bit, so it appears at least one chick is still alive in there. 

• In reply to Robbo:

Glad to hear No.4 nest is still active Rob, fingers crossed for the HM's  and their offspring and hope its more than one chick.

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to Robbo:

Another update. As happened earlier in the month, nest 6 has collapsed. Again, no smoking gun. I have strong suspicions it was third party involvement. No sign of eggs and I am sure they hadn't got to the chicks stage in that nest. There was a more substantial collapse compared to previous though.

• In reply to Robbo:

On a more positive note, nests three and four are still feeding young. Nest two (photo above) is very close to fledging. There are at least three youngsters. The back of nest three is the one furthest away. Their entrance opens next to the latest house sparrow nest to fledge. That's two sparrow broods from an artificial martin nest cup.

• In reply to Robbo:

Can only hope that nest two fledges soon and successfully with no harassment from sparrows.  Bad news about nest 6, thank goodness there were no chicks to be taken, bad enough losing eggs.

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

Despite No. 6 nest, it's good to hear other nests are still active with young and No.2 is close to fledging,  the measures you took Rob seem to have made the difference so good luck for the rest fledging successfully and then their long journey ahead of them.   Thanks for update.  

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Nest 2 fledged three days ago. Youngsters have come and gone since. I noticed one head poking out earlier today. Maybe keeping dry and out the wind. Nest 3 and 4 are both still being fed. Nest 3 (photos below) are coming along well, but side entrance has slowly but surely been getting bigger. The photos give the impression they're still very young, but I think they're about a week from fledging. Nest 5 has now hatched and a couple of eggshells are below the nest. They seem to have timed it badly as it's been windy. Apart from a token shower a week ago, nest 2 had 100% dry weather right from hatching to fledging! Nest 1 I'm fairly sure is still incubating a second clutch.