another year....same results

• In reply to Nigel O:

Really hope all your hard work pays off Robbo, certainly sounds promising with 6 or 7 active nests.

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks all. I think I was being over optimistic with 7. There are still definitely six though. Four are complete (incl the artificial one on the end). The other two are almost complete now. Could probably do with some rain....

Sparrows have had a couple of aborted attempts that I've seen.

• In reply to Robbo:

Just caught up with your thread Robbo, you have done a great job there and I hope you will get to see the nests produce young, and your hard work pays off.    

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

I'm afraid that although there are still six 'active nests', the disruption and intimidation has been escalating. Two photos from this morning. One shows where the curtain has been reduced by one string! I caught a male sparrow hacking at the string yesterday morning. He obviously returned later in the day and I found the string on the ground this morning (see previous photo from earlier in the month for comparison). The other photo shows the situation further along the house.

• In reply to Robbo:

Having uploaded the photo, I see two strings missing in the first photo compared to previous!!! On a positive note, the left hand nest contains young. Quite a while to fledging though. Of the other five nests, I think two may contain eggs.  

• In reply to Robbo:

Oh dear Robbo, no so good, I hope the sparrow's and others behave and that the swallows have a good chance of fledging.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Catlady:

If the Sparrows are actively destroying the strings then that's amazing behaviour. Not good behaviour but quite amazing that they've identified a problem and worked out how to do something about it!

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

I don't know what to say Robbo, that is so frustrating.   Would alternative nests somewhere else maybe attract the sparrows?   Keep them away from the eaves maybe.  

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

I think one of the house builder pairs have been evicted by rival house martins. Lots of persistent squabbling and clearly a huge reluctance to give up. Suggests to me the hard working pair might have lost to poachers.

Re more sparrow nests, I did effectively do that in previous years. Another swift box and great tit box. I found more nest boxes = more sparrows which then = more martin attacks.

• In reply to Nigel O:

Nigel O said:

If the Sparrows are actively destroying the strings then that's amazing behaviour. Not good behaviour but quite amazing that they've identified a problem and worked out how to do something about it!

Possibly. Can be one of three things imo.

1) as you suggest. Clever assessment and action to remove obstacles.

2) football style hooliganism which sparrows are, in my opinion, known to commit now and again.

3) seeing string as nesting material.

I suspect it's probably more likely to be 3. I've actually lost one of the bits of string, complete with nut attached! I left them on the patio to put back up at the weekend and something has taken one of them away. Could be a blackbird or other species. Might be a sparrow though.