HTR's 2018 Fledging Day May 13th

• In reply to Nigel O:

Nigel O said:

My guess on the names would be Michael Caine characters, Alfie and then Charlie from the Italian Job.

Correct!

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• In reply to monkeycheese:

Another pair of rescues, and different ones this time. They do look cute. Good luck with the feeding until they go Liz and the centre. Well done

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Catlady:

Wow, long time no visit for me.... took a while to get my password reset! They're absolutely adorable and maybe a month or so old. They're a bit older than our Pie was when we got her. She had a half inch stub of tail and not much in the way of wings :)

Please do check out For The Love of Crows. I don't get much chance to visit forums these days after changing jobs, but I am on Facebook a lot of the time along with an awful lot of corvid experts who'd be more than happy to drool over a lovely pair of babies :)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

• In reply to Maisie:

Hi Maisie, good to hear from you again. Alfie only has a stubby tail. Charlie is slightly older and looks like a Magpie, albeit slightly smaller. Charlie is feeding himself from a small dish, but he does still yell and beg from time to time. Alfie perches on my hand and flaps his wings while squealing to be fed. he's taking the food from a plastic coffee stirrer. He takes three or four mouthfuls and then turns away, wipes his beak on my leg and then looks for a way to get back to Charlie. They are not siblings but get on very well, They sidle up to one another when roosting overnight. I'll check out 'For The Love of Crows'.

Although I've already PM'd you Maisie, just want to say it's great to see you back and thanks for replying;  also good luck with your new job.

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

Nice to see you back Maisie.

J

• In reply to wren:

Great to see you, Maisie!  I hope you and your family (including the feathered members) are all well.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

It appears that there are maybe just two fledglings remaining in the garden. I managed to get some pics of one of them being fed earlier today.

Mrs HTR is doing most of the feeding. HTR has had a complete personality change and is very nervous. He won't come within 10 feet of me and is always retreating from other birds when competing for mealies. It is still HTR. He does feed the two fledglings and he teamed up with Mrs HTR to 'dit' at a cat in the garden last night. His change in behaviour is most puzzling. I imagine that the youngsters will be left to their own devices before long and Mrs HTR will start up brood #2.

Great pics of Mum feeding baby MC but whatever is wrong with HTR, could he have had a narrow escape from cat or Sprawk!  Hope he's less nervous tomorrow with you!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

That's beautiful to see the Mrs HTR feeding it's offspring;  maybe HTR is being cautious if they only have two chicks left;  I heard a right commotion fifteen minutes ago so went out to investigate as the corvids in particular were creating constant alarm sounds;  it was a huge white cat in the shrubs which we chased away  :(    

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE