The Young of 2018

• In reply to Nigel O:

More youngsters ..........  including Canada Goslings (brood of 5) and Mallard ducklings (brood of 12)

a quick dash to shore after a very choppy Pennington Flash

and the mallards have done well to hang on to a dozen chicks;     they were a long distance away so record shot only

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Mama blackbird has three speckly fledglings outside my back door this morning.  

• In reply to monkeycheese:

Hi. Just joined the forums and was going to post a new thread but saw this and wanted to add that despite the variable early spring weather I have just seen newly fledged additions to my family group of House Sparrows and this morning watched two young Dunnocks following mum and dad around the garden picking up food for themselves but still begging the occasional morsel. I'm up in Leeds and didn't expect such an early start to the season.

• In reply to Howard W:

Hi Howard and welcome to the community;    it' good to hear you've already seen House Sparrow and Dunnock offspring,  it's a lovely time of year to watch the birds as they go about their busy nesting/feeding duties.   To help the birds out, especially during nesting season, I buy live mealworms for them and now made a rod for my own back as the birds see me in the morning through the window and flutter up and down like yo-yo's trying to grab my attention and waiting for me to go the garage and get them a bowl of mealworms, my cup of coffee has to wait !!   but I can't help but smile when I see them and feel half a dozen birds fluttering and following me across the garden eagerly collecting food for their nestlings !    They certainly get used to regular routine and are so clever.    Once again, enjoy this forum and I look forward to your updates.    

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks for the welcome Hazel. My feeders don't attract anything rare but the sparrows, blue tits, dunnocks, blackbirds and starlings which are the common diners are a joy to watch. I think the blackbirds are feeding young judging by their frantic feeding and I'm hoping the local magpies haven't found their nest which has been a problem over recent years. Will be watching out for more fledglings.

• In reply to Howard W:

Noise level just gone up

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Woke up this morning and saw this lovely Blackbird fledgling in the wildflower patch in my garden from the kitchen window! It's my first time seeing a fledgling in the garden and from my observations there should be two more dotted around! The wildflower patch is a bit overgrown and needs some work done in the Autumn, probably have to introduce some Yellow Rattle to help control the grasses.

We did have a pair of Collared Doves nest in the conifers but they seemed to have left and a Wood Pidgeon seem to be coming in and out of their nesting site.   

• In reply to Wildlife Endeavours :

A lovely sighting WE it's always good to have an overgrown bit in a garden for insects etc.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

While on a stroll along a lovely shaded canal today we watched a pair of Canada Geese with three very small goslings.  They were all in the canal when we first spotted them but they climbed out on the far bank when a class of about eight kayaks and canoes appeared, most being very poorly steered by larking and noisy teenage boys.  All 5 birds began preening while sheltering under a few low branches but very shortly the three goslings moved toward each other and gradually moved as one until they were under the tail of one parent.  The parent took a giant step forward.  The goslings again skuttled over and again stopped underneath that parent's tail.  The parent again took another giant step away from them.  After a third unsuccessful attempt to cuddle under that parent, the chicks gave up and reversed their direction toward the other parent.  That one must have been Mum because she allowed them to snuggle together under her feet, next she lowered both wings and finally she settled down herself with all three chicks finally completely hidden and probably gratefully warm at last!  Awwww, very sweet.  

Kind regards, 

Ann