A Day Of Pigeon Rescues

I had to get up at 5-20am in order to get to Kingston Station before it was too busy. I had two nests to check. When I was there two weeks ago, I took two squabs from a third nest (before the pest controllers installed plastic spikes). The other two nests each contained two eggs, so I told the station staff that I would return today, once the eggs had hatched.

April and Sammy, rescued on April 28th

The four from this morning. On the left John & Yoko and on the right George and Patti.

Shortly after I had arrived home from dropping off the four little Pidges, I received a telephone call from a member of staff at Addlestone Station. She and her colleague had seen a fledgling on the platform and it was seemingly unable to fly. No adult birds had been down to it. I asked what species it was and they said black with yellow on the head. Addlestone is not exactly local to me and I don't have a car. Nevertheless, a bird required help, so off I went. I had to get a bus to Earlsfield and then a train to Weybridge where I changed for Addlestone. Once I arrived there and crossed over to platform 1, I immediately spotted the bird. It was a young Pidge, probably about three weeks old. It has clearly fallen out of the nest that I could see under the platform canopy. It was located over the tracks, so the Pidge was fortunate not to have fallen to its death. The Pidge was on a ledge about five feet from the ground, so it clearly had some limited flight. What I assumed were the parents were busy fussing over the remaining nestling. The escapee allowed me to pick it up and I was able to put it in the pet carrier, where I had plenty of soft cloths and a small hot water bottle. From there I made the return journey to Wimbledon and then on to Wallington to hand over the Pidge to Liz from Forget me Not Wildlife Rescue.

Here's the Pidge from Addlestone. I named it Edmund.

Before I forget, on May 4th I received a call from Merton Council regarding some baby Pigeons that were in a nest on a shopfront that was being refurbished. I also retrieved those two. I named them Fish & Chips.

So many Pigeons, so little time...

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)